Given an array of integers which may contain duplicate elements, an element of this array is given to us, we need to tell the final position of this element in the array, if a stable sort algorithm is applied.
Input : arr = [3, 4, 3, 5, 2, 3, 4, 3, 1, 5], index = 5 Output : 4 Element initial index – 5 (third 3) After sorting array by stable sorting algorithm, we get array as shown below [1(8), 2(4), 3(0), 3(2), 3(5), 3(7), 4(1), 4(6), 5(3), 5(9)] with their initial indices shown in parentheses next to them, Element's index after sorting = 4
One easy way to solve this problem is to use any stable sorting algorithm like Insertion Sort, Merge Sort etc and then get the new index of given element but we can solve this problem without sorting the array.
As position of an element in a sorted array is decided by only those elements which are smaller than given element. We count all array elements smaller than given element and for those elements which are equal to given element, elements occurring before given elements’ index will be included in count of smaller elements this will insure the stability of the result’s index.
Simple code to implement above approach is implemented below:
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Stable Selection Sort
- Stable sort for descending order
- Stable QuickSort
- Comparison among Bubble Sort, Selection Sort and Insertion Sort
- Find out the correct position of the ball after shuffling
- Sort an array without changing position of negative numbers
- Sum of product of each element with each element after it
- Queries to print count of distinct array elements after replacing element at index P by a given element
- Find last element after deleting every second element in array of n integers
- Find the position of the last removed element from the array
- Number of shuffles required for each element to return to its initial position
- Shuffle the position of each Array element by swapping adjacent elements
- Count of right shifts for each array element to be in its sorted position
- Find array sum using Bitwise OR after splitting given array in two halves after K circular shifts
- Sort an array after applying the given equation
- Check if it is possible to sort the array after rotating it
- Sort a String in decreasing order of values associated after removal of values smaller than X
- Sort array after converting elements to their squares
- Why Quick Sort preferred for Arrays and Merge Sort for Linked Lists?
- Odd-Even Sort / Brick Sort
Improved By : vt_m