Popular Programming Languages Supported by AWS
Amazon Web Service(AWS) supports multiple popular programming languages like Java, Python, Ruby, PHP, and Node.js, etc. All the programming languages are useful in one or another way. All the programming languages have different characteristics, communities, support, and ecosystems to consider when making choice. Lets, discuss some of the popular programming languages supported by AWS
Java is an object-oriented language with fewer dependencies. It is a secure and dynamic language designed to have high performance. Java is one of the earliest languages used in business-critical ideas. It has a wide range of libraries and frameworks supported.
Java Applications in AWS Have the Following Merits:
- Reliable and well-tested libraries: All of the libraries of Java are reliable and are well tested to create a supportive and reliable environment for the users.
- Platform Independent: Java works with various tools like Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, Maven, and Gradle.
- High Performance: With the use of Just-In-Time compilers, Java enables high performance. It is easy to determine the amount of memory needed by the program which makes its performance predictable.
These merits of Java help it in running a Java-based web application on various AWS services like Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
Python is a dynamic, high level, open-source programming language. It is relatively a newer language in the world of programming languages and in AWS environment as well. This is the simplest language and beginners friendly.
The benefits of Python in the AWS environment:
- Fast Spin up Time: Python has a great spinning up time for containers. It’s about 100 times faster than Java or C#.
- Easy to Code: Python is highly readable and a supportive community. Python has more than 145,000 support package
- Simplicity: With python, one can avoid the over-complicated architecture
Using the SDK for Python, you can build applications on top of Amazon S3, Amazon EC2, Amazon DynamoDB, and more.
Ruby is also a popular object-oriented programming language having training available online, both for beginners, with no coding experience, and experts in the field. Ruby has a repository of reusable libraries easily maintained and deployed in the form of RubyGems.
Benefits of Ruby:
- Highly Scalable: Ruby is very much scalable and big programs written in Ruby are easily maintainable.
- Easy to understand: Ruby has a clean and easy syntax that allows a new developer to learn very quickly and easily.
- Suitable for automation purposes: Ruby is suitable for automation with Puppet. Ruby support various web services including Airbnb, GitHub, and Groupon.
With Ruby, developers can easily deploy their applications on various AWS services like Amazon S3, Amazon EC2, DynamoDB, and more. Ruby is really a programmer’s best friend.
PHP is an open-source server-side scripting language. PHP code is executed on the server so you need a web browser to execute PHP code. Major companies including Facebook, WordPress, Twitpic, Flickr, and Imgur are part of the PHP alumni.
Features of PHP:
- Simple and Easy: PHP is simple and easy to understand language as compared to other scripting languages.
- Does not have any rules: PHP doesn’t have rules like compiled languages or strict standards as seen with Python, but rather guidelines available from the developer community.
- Host’s webpages through AWS: Elastic Beanstalk for PHP is available for developing or hosting a web application using PHP.
The PHP SDK is a modern, open-source PHP library that makes it easy to integrate your PHP application with AWS services like Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, and Amazon DynamoDB.
- Modules: There are various modules to help developers with their applications in a lot of different ways.
- Better spinup time: Node.js has better spin-up time than C# or Java which makes it a better option for client-facing applications.
- No Buffer: Node.js never buffer any data of its applications