A Signal is an electromagnetic field or an electric current to transmit data. There are various components of a signal such as frequency, amplitude, wavelength, phase, angular frequency and period from which it is described.
A periodic signal can be represented using the below sine function:
y = A sin(w*t + Q)
A represents the amplitude(in meter),
w represents frequency(in hertz),
t represents time period(in seconds) and
Q represents phase(in radian) of the periodic signal.
The two major components frequency and phase of a periodic signal define the Phase Spectrum of that signal. The frequency components of the periodic signal are plotted in the horizontal axis and phase component of the periodic signal is plotted in the vertical axis.
In Python, the
phase_spectrum() method in the
pyplot module of Python
matplotlib library plots the phase spectrum of a periodic signal. Below are some programs which demonstrate the use of
phase_spectrum() method to visualize the phase spectrum of different periodic signals.
The first graph represent the signal in Amplitude vs Time components, the second graph represents the phase spectrum of the signal in Phase vs Frequency graph by using
phase_spectrum() on the signal having time period from 5 to 10 seconds, 0.25 radian phase angle, frequency of the signal is calculated from the given time period and amplitude of the signal is calculated using the
sin() function in
In the above program, as the amplitude of the signal is increasing with time so a sinusoidal wave is not formed in the first graph. The signal exists in the time period of 0 to 1 second and the phase angle is 0.1 radian, the phase spectrum of the signal is depicted using
Here, the signal is represented in Amplitude vs Time graph which forms sinusoidal waves and the phase spectrum of the signal is represented using
phase_spectrum() method in Phase vs Frequency graph. The time period of the signal starts from 1 second to 100th second and the phase angle is 0.5 radian.
- Plot the magnitude spectrum in Python using Matplotlib
- Box Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot 2-D Histogram in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot a pie chart in Python using Matplotlib
- Tri-Surface Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Contour Plot using Matplotlib - Python
- Simple Plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot a quadrilateral mesh in Python using Matplotlib
- Make a violin plot in Python using Matplotlib
- Plot Mathematical Expressions in Python using Matplotlib
- Matplotlib.pyplot.plot() function in Python
- Plot the power spectral density using Matplotlib - Python
- Create a pseudocolor plot of an unstructured triangular grid in Python using Matplotlib
- Matplotlib.axes.Axes.plot() in Python
- Bar Plot in Matplotlib
- Quiver Plot in Matplotlib
- Autocorrelation plot using Matplotlib
- Python - cmath.phase() function
- Box Plot using Plotly in Python
- Pie plot using Plotly in Python