Plasma Display Panel in Computer Graphics
Plasma Display Panel are an emissive display which means that the panel itself is the light source. In comparison to a transmissive display, where the light source is separate and light is passed through the panel to create an image, PDP’s are extremely bright and light-tolerant flat panel display technology that utilizes a gas discharge principle thus also knows as gas discharge display.
Plasma gives a big display screen length which degrees normally from 42” to 63”. It works properly in dimly lit rooms tremendous for looking movies, gives excessive assessment ratios, gorgeously saturated shades, and permits for extensive viewing angles each seat with inside the residence is a tremendous one.
Because it can track fast moving images without motion blur, plasma is ideal for watching action packed sports or playing video games.
The working of Plasma Display Panel is as follows :
- Plasma Display Panel are composed of two parallel sheets of glass which enclose a mixture of discharge gases composed of helium, neon and xenon.
- On the inner side of the glass plates are Ribs, which help keep the glass plates parallel.
- Groups of electrodes sit at right angles between the panes forming rectangular compartments, or cells, between the glass sheets.
- Phosphorus are embedded within each cell that individually emit red, green or blue light and collectively create a single color pixel.
- Selectively applying voltages to the electrodes causes them to generate a discharge in the panel’s dielectric layer and on its protective surface. This generates ultraviolet light that excites the phosphors, stimulating them to emit light.
- The picture definition is stored in a Refresh Buffer, voltage is applied to refresh the pixel positions 60 times per second.
Advantages of Plasma Display Panel :
- Plasma Display Panel are thin lightweight and take up less space than other displays which makes them easy to install anywhere.
- Plasma Display Panel offer uniform brightness.
- They show images without distortion and avoid problems such as misregistered colors and lack of focus.
- They also resist interference from magnetic fields, are free from distortion and viewable from a wide angle.
- Plasma Display Panel capable of producing deeper blacks allowing superior contrast ratio.
- It provides wider viewing angle than those of LCD due to which images do not suffer from degradation at high angles.
- Plasma Display Panel are suitable for multimedia usage because they can display computer images as well as full-color, full-motion pictures.
Disadvantages of Plasma Display Panel :
- Plasma Display Panel use more electricity, an overlay than an LCD TV.
- Earlier generation Plasma Display Panel were more susceptible to screen burn-in and image retention, recent models have a pixel orbiter that moves the entire picture faster than is noticeable to the human eye, which reduces the effect of burn-in but does not prevent it.
- Earlier generation displays had phosphors that lost luminosity over time, resulting in gradual decline of absolute.
- Due to the strong infrared emissions inherent with the technology standard Infra red repeater systems cannot be used in the viewing room. A more expensive “plasma compatible” sensor needs be used.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.