Sending an email is a very common activity in a web browser. For example, sending an email when a new user joins to a network, sending a newsletter, sending greeting mail, sending an invoice. We can use the built-in mail() function to send an email programmatically. This function needs three required arguments that hold the information about the recipient, subject of the message and message body. Along with this three required arguments, there are two more arguments which are optional. One of them is the header and the other one is parameters.
We have already discussed sending text-based emails in PHP in our previous article. In this article, we will see how we can send an email with attachments using mail() function.
When the mail() function is called PHP will attempt to send the mail immediately to the recipient then it will return true upon successful delivery of the mail and false if an error occurs.
bool mail( $to, $subject, $message, $headers, $parameters );
Here is the description of each parameter.
|to||This contains the receiver or receivers of the particular email||Required||String|
|subject||This conatains the subject of the email. This parameter cannot contain any newline characters||Required||String|
|message||This contains the message to be sent. Each line should be separated with a LF (\n). Lines should not exceed 70 characters (We will use wordwrap() function to achieve this.)||Required||String|
|headers||This conatins additional headers, like From, Cc, Mime Version, Bcc.||Optional||String|
|parameters||Specifies an additional parameter to the send mail program||Optional||String|
When we are sending a mail through PHP, all content in the message will be treated as simple text only. If we put any HTML tag inside the message body, it will not be formatted as HTML syntax. HTML tag will be displayed as simple text.
To format any HTML tag according to HTML syntax, we can specify the MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension) version, content type and character set of the message body.
To send an attachment along with the email, we need to set the Content-type as mixed/multipart and we have to define the text and attachment sections within a Boundary.
Create an HTML form:
PHP Script for handling the form data:
- How to send an email using PHPMailer ?
- How to Send Email using Mailgun API in Node.js ?
- How to send Attachments and Email using nodemailer in Node.js ?
- How to send email with Nodemailer using Gmail account in Node.js ?
- CSS | background-attachment Property
- Express.js res.attachment() Function
- How to send a GET request from PHP?
- Express.js res.send() Function
- PHP | Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer | send() Function
- How to send HTTP response code in PHP?
- How to configure XAMPP to send mail from localhost using PHP ?
- How to validate an Email using PHP?
- How to Create an Email Newsletter ?
- Types of Email Attacks
- Email Template using HTML and CSS
- HTML | <input type="email">
- HTML | DOM Input Email value Property
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.