In this article, we will learn how to check whether a number and a string is a palindrome or not in PHP. A number or string is said to be a palindrome if it remains same even after reversing the digits or letters respectively.
Examples for Palindrome Number:
Input : 1441 Output : Palindrome Explanation: Reversing 1441 will also get 1441 Input : 12521 Output : Palindrome Explanation remains same
Check for Palindrome number
Here we have simply used the iterative way to check for the palindrome number. Each digit is extracted in an iteration and formed the reverse number and finally, it is checked, whether it is same as the original number.
Check for Palindrome String
Examples for Palindrome String:
Input : "MALAYALAM" Output : Palindrome Explanation: Reversing "MALAYALAM" will also get "MALAYALAM" Input : "14441" Output : Palindrome Explanation remains same
Method 1: Using strrev()
The strrev() function is used in PHP to reverse a string. We can simply use this method to reverse the string and match it with the prevous value. If it is a match, then the string is palindrome else not.
Method 2: Recursive way using substr()
The substr() method is used to return a part of a string, referred to as the substring. Using this method, there is a recursive way to check for Palindrome or not. In this method no new string is formed and the original string is modified in each recursive call.
The first character is matched with the last character of the string during each recursive call and if it matches, then both the characters are discarded during the next call. This goes on until the length of the string reduces to 0 or 1. In the following example where the word “MALAYALAM”, is taken, let’s see the working.
In the first step both the M’s at both, the end is compared. Since it matches, both of them are discarded and the next string to be passed is “ALAYALA”. Again both the A matched at both the end, so next string to be passed is “LAYAL”. This goes on until only “Y” remains.
- PHP 5 vs PHP 7
- PHP | Get PHP configuration information using phpinfo()
- PHP | php.ini File Configuration
- How to import config.php file in a PHP script ?
- PHP | check if a number is Even or Odd
- PHP | Check if a number is prime
- PHP | Check if a number is Perfect number
- PHP | Check if a number is armstrong number
- PHP to check substring in a string
- PHP program to check for Anagram
- PHP | Check if all characters are lower case
- PHP | Program to check a string is a rotation of another string
- PHP | ctype_alnum() (Check for Alphanumeric)
- How to check an array is associative or sequential in PHP?
- How to check whether an array is empty using PHP?
- Why to check both isset() and !empty() function in PHP ?
- How to check form submission in PHP ?
- How to check if URL contain certain string using PHP?
- PHP | Check if a variable is a function
- PHP | Check if two arrays contain same elements
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.