PayPal Interview Experience for SDE-1 | Off-Campus 2021
PayPal conducted an online campus challenge in 2020, that had programming questions to be solved. Though I wasn’t able to clear the challenge, I received an email from the recruitment team after a year, if I was interested in interviewing. There were 3 rounds:
Round 1(Problem-Solving – Technical Round 1): It was a 60-minute interview on MS Teams. The interviewer was quite friendly, after a brief introduction, he shared google doc for coding. 2 questions were discussed:
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
- https://leetcode.com/discuss/interview-question/350800/Google-or-Onsite-or-Chocolate-Sweetness/318561. I suggested possible approaches, but he guided me towards the right direction after which I was able to come up with the binary search approach. Solved and wrote the code, and discussed the time complexity.
- Given a number N, find the number of integers from 1 to N that have the odd number of factors. Only approach and time complexity were discussed, he seemed satisfied.
Round 2(Projects+Problem Solving): Discussion on projects, open-source contribution, and internships. She asked me what was my individual contribution in each of the projects, and why I used a specific database(MongoDB). After that, 2 questions were discussed.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/minimum-number-of-distinct-elements-after-removing-m-items/. Gave an approach using the map, and discussed corner cases. After reviewing the code I was able to identify mistakes as well. She seemed satisfied.
Round 3(Techno-Managerial Round): This round was with a Senior manager.
- After a brief introduction, he discussed my projects and internships.
- Then, he asked why I was interested in joining PayPal, the team I’d like to work with, strengths and weaknesses etc. Wasn’t a very pleasant round, he seemed a strict person.
- I had a research internship stated, so wanted to know why I want to work in corporate world.
- The only thing is to practice as many questions as you can from GfG, Leetcode, etc.
- Though I had also done PayPal tagged questions from GfG, I wasn’t asked any of them.
- Staying calm and confident during the interview helps a lot.