Patent is an official document giving it’s owner sole right to make, use or sell the invention and preventing others from using it or copying it.It is an invention that is legally protected.
Types of Patent:
- Utility Patent –
It is a patent which applies to the creation of a new or improved product or process. Example:-Nail cutter, washing machine, process of making steel etc.
- Design Patent –
It is a patent which applies to the shape of any material, the shape must be new and original.Design Patent is given for the aesthetic of material not for utility.Example:-cut of a dress, shape of an automobile etc.
- Plant Patent –
It is a patent which is given to the new variety of plants that are asexually reproduced. A plant is asexually reproduced if it is reproduced by a method such as cutting or grafting instead of using seeds.Example:- A golden color flower created through grafting.
Criteria for Patent:
- Novelty –
This means inventions should be new and original and not disclosed to the public before filling the application date.
- Usefulness –
This means that invention must be useful and industrially applicable.it must serve some Useful Purpose and help the society.
- Inventiveness –
This means that invention could not be created by applying previous knowledge and concepts .It should not be obvious and lacking creativity.It must be an inventive solution.
Advantages of Patent:
- It gives you a right to prevent imitating, manufacturing or selling of your invention without your consent.
- It provides a legal protection to the invention.
- It gives you a way of generating income through licensing.
- It encourages new invention and promotes growth in the society.
- It gives credits to the owner of invention and higher return of investment.
- 5 Reasons Why Online Learning is the Future
- The Future Of Web Development
- Best 5 Strategies to Build Better & Worthwhile Professional Relationships
- Top 5 Places to Practice Ethical Hacking
- 7 React Best Practices Every Web Developer Should Follow
- Top 10 Python Libraries for Data Science in 2020
- Top 8 Tips to Get Your Android App Featured on Google Play Store
- Introduction to Auto-CAD software
- Is it Worth to Learn Python in 2020?
- Rust vs C++: Will Rust Replace C++ in Future ?
- Before Google's prime: Search Engine History
- Introduction of Computer Forensics
- What is Edge Computing and Its Importance in the Future?
- How Blockchain Technology Can Accelerate the Potential of IoT?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.