Password Hashing with MD5 module in Node.js
MD5 module in node.js uses a message-digest algorithm and it is a widely used hash function producing a 128-bit hash value. Password hashing is an important concept because, in the database, the actual password should not be stored as its a bad practice and also make the system less secure, so the password is stored in hashed form into the database which makes the system more secured.
Installation of MD5 module:
- It’s easy to get started and easy to use.
- It is widely used and popular module for hashing password.
- It produces a 128-bit hash value.
- You can visit the link Install MD5 module. You can install this package by using the following command.
npm install md5
- After installing multer you can check your md5 version in command prompt using the command.
npm version md5
- After that, you can create a folder and add a file for example index.js, To run this file you need to run the following command.
- Requiring module: You need to include md5 module in your file by using these lines.
var md5 = require('md5');
Steps to run the program:
const md5 = require(
'Normal password : '
'Hashed password : '
- The project structure will look like this:
- Make sure you have install md5 module using following commands:
npm install md5
- Run index.js file using below command:
So this is how you can hash password in node js using MD5 module. There are other modules in the market for hashing like Bcrypt, Crypto, etc.
Share your thoughts in the comments
Please Login to comment...