In C, array name represents address and when we pass an array, we actually pass address and the parameter receiving function always accepts them as pointers (even if we use , refer this for details).
How to pass array by value, i.e., how to make sure that we have a new copy of array when we pass it to function?
This can be done by wrapping the array in a structure and creating a variable of type of that structure and assigning values to that array. After that, passing the variable to some other function and modifying it as per requirements. Note that array members are copied when passed as parameter, but dynamic arrays are not. So this solution works only for non-dynamic arrays (created without new or malloc).
Let’s see an example to demonstrate the above fact using a C program:
In 'modify()', before modification 10 10 10 10 10 In 'modify()', after modification 100 100 100 100 100 In 'Main', after calling modify() 10 10 10 10 10
This article is contributed by MAZHAR IMAM KHAN. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- How to pass a 2D array as a parameter in C?
- When do we pass arguments by reference or pointer?
- Jagged Array or Array of Arrays in C with Examples
- Difference between pointer to an array and array of pointers
- What’s difference between “array” and “&array” for “int array” ?
- Sum of an array using MPI
- Array class in C++
- 4 Dimensional Array in C/C++
- Pointer vs Array in C
- Pointer to an Array | Array Pointer
- How to sort an array of dates in C/C++?
- Array Type Manipulation in C++
- What is Array Decay in C++? How can it be prevented?
- Accessing array out of bounds in C/C++
- Why array index starts from zero ?
- Do not use sizeof for array parameters
- Difference between pointer and array in C?
- How to dynamically allocate a 2D array in C?
- Sum of array using pointer arithmetic
- C program to traverse an Array