Overview Software Documentation
Software documentation is a written piece of text that is often accompanied by a software program. This makes the life of all the members associated with the project easier. It may contain anything from API documentation, build notes or just help content. It is a very critical process in software development. It’s primarily an integral part of any computer code development method. Moreover, computer code practitioners are a unit typically concerned with the worth, degree of usage, and quality of the actual documentation throughout the development and its maintenance throughout the total method. Motivated by the requirements of Novatel opposition, a world-leading company developing package in support of worldwide navigation satellite system, and based mostly on the results of a former systematic mapping studies area unit aimed at a higher understanding of the usage and therefore the quality of varied technical documents throughout computer code development and their maintenance.
For example, before the development of any software product requirements are documented which is called Software Requirement Specification (SRS). Requirement gathering is considered a stage of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
Another example can be a user manual that a user refers to for installing, using, and providing maintenance to the software application/product.
Types Of Software Documentation :
- Requirement Documentation: It is the description of how the software shall perform and which environment setup would be appropriate to have the best out of it. These are generated while the software is under development and is supplied to the tester groups too.
- Architectural Documentation: Architecture documentation is a special type of documentation that concerns the design. It contains very little code and is more focused on the components of the system, their roles, and working. It also shows the data flow throughout the system.
- Technical Documentation: These contain the technical aspects of the software like API, algorithms, etc. It is prepared mostly for software devs.
- End-user Documentation: As the name suggests these are made for the end user. It contains support resources for the end user.
Purpose of Documentation :
Due to the growing importance of computer code necessities, the method of crucial them needs to be effective so as to notice desired results. As the such determination of necessities is often beneath sure regulation and pointers that area unit core in getting a given goal.
These all imply that computer code necessities area unit expected to alter thanks to the ever ever-changing technology within the world. however, the very fact that computer code information id obtained through development has to be modified within the wants of users and the transformation of the atmosphere area unit is inevitable.
what is more, computer code necessities ensure that there’s a verification and therefore the testing method, in conjunction with prototyping and conferences there are focus teams and observations?
For a software engineer reliable documentation is often a should the presence of documentation helps keep track of all aspects of associate applications and it improves the standard of wares, it’s the most focused area of unit development, maintenance, and information transfer to alternative developers. productive documentation can build info simply accessible, offer a restricted range of user entry purposes, facilitate new users to learn quickly, alter the merchandise and facilitate chopping out the price.
Importance of software documentation :
For a programmer reliable documentation is always a must the presence keeps track of all aspects of an application and helps in keeping the software updated.
Advantages of software documentation :
- The presence of documentation helps in keeping the track of all aspects of an application and also improves the quality of the software product.
- The main focus is based on the development, maintenance, and knowledge transfer to other developers.
- Helps development teams during development.
- Helps end-users in using the product.
- Improves overall quality of software product
- It cuts down duplicative work.
- Makes easier to understand code.
- Helps in establishing internal coordination in work.
Disadvantages of software documentation :
- The documenting code is time-consuming.
- The software development process often takes place under time pressure, due to which many times the documentation updates don’t match the updated code.
- The documentation has no influence on the performance of an application.
- Documenting is not so fun, it’s sometimes boring to a certain extent.
The agile methodology encourages engineering groups to invariably concentrate on delivering prices to their customers. This key should be thought-about within the method of manufacturing computer code documentation .good package ought to be provided whether or not it’s a computer code specifications document for programmers, testers, or a computer code manual for finish users.