Overview of Database as a Service
Prerequisite : Cloud Computing
As we know data is everything for an IT organization to work with not only it is important for only IT organizations rather data is very important for all sizes and all categories of businesses. Every day huge amount of data gets generated in each organization and based on this collected or generated data various organizational activities are performed. But the most challenging task for an organization related to data is managing the database and proving security to the database. So everyday new technologies are getting added to database domain to make work easier and more flexible. DBaaS is one of that advanced improvement which makes database activities simpler.
In this article we will discuss about overview of Database as a Service (DBaaS), how it works, how it helps in our daily database work and finally its advantages and disadvantages. So, let’s start exploring the topic.
Database as a Service (DBaaS) :
Like SaaS, PaaS and IaaS of cloud computing we can consider DBaaS (also known as Managed Database Service) as a cloud computing service. It allows users associated with database activities to access and use a cloud database system without purchasing it.
DBaaS and cloud database comes under Software as a Service (SaaS) whose demand is growing so fast
In simple we can say Database as a Service (DBaaS) is self service/ on demand database consumption coupled with automation of operations. As we know cloud computing services are like pay per use so DBaaS also based on same payment structure like how much you will use just pay for your usage. This DBaaS provides same function as like standard traditional and relational database models. So using DBaaS, organizations can avoid data base configuration, management, upgradation and security.
DBaaS consists of an info manager element, that controls all underlying info instances via API. This API is accessible to the user through a management console, typically an online application, that the user might use to manage and assemble the info and even provision or deprovision info instances.
Key Characteristics of DBaaS :
- A fully managed info service helps to line up, manage, and administer your info within the cloud and conjointly offer services for hardware provisioning and Backup.
- DBaaS permits the availability of info’s effortlessly to Database shoppers from numerous backgrounds and IT expertise.
- Provides on demand services.
- Supported the resources offered, it delivers a versatile info platform that tailors itself to the environment’s current desires.
- A team of consultants at your disposal, endlessly watching the Databases.
- Automates info administration and watching.
- Leverages existing servers and storage.
How does DBaaS work ?
It is a service that is added to our databases which make our daily tasks easier. It eliminates tedious and time-consuming administration tasks and makes our tasks simpler and more flexible. Now most of the organizations are going for DBaaS as it helps organizations to accelerate their business performance by starting their working with database more easily and running the workloads without delay.
Once we move our database to the cloud, we have the option to add software deployment as a service. Doing so simplifies the processes required to make information available through Internet-based communications. Storage consolidation can also be useful for moving company databases to the cloud.
Advantages of DBaaS :
- DBaaS is responsible of the info supplier to manage and maintain info hardware and code.
- The hefty power bills for ventilation and cooling bills to stay the servers running area unit eliminated.
- An organization that subscribes to DBaaS is free from hiring info developers or constructing a info system in-house.
- Make use of the most recent automation, straightforward outs of clouds area unit possible at low price and fewer time.
- Human resources needed to manage the upkeep of the system is eliminated.
- Since DBaaS is hosted off-site, the organization is free from the hassles of power or network failure.
- Explore the portfolio of Oracle info as a service.
Disadvantages of DBaaS :
- Traditional enterprises may have objections to cloud-based services generally.
- In case of significant failure of the DBaaS server or network, the organization might lose its knowledge.
- Companies already equipped with resources and IT-related human resources might not realize DBaaS solutions economically viable.
- Intrinsic network connected problems with cloud can impact the performance of a DBaaS.
- Features offered within the typical RDBMS might not perpetually be offered during a DBaaS system.
- The use of DBaaS may result in revenue loss in alternative areas of code updates and hardware management.