As an undergraduate, the first company which I interviewed for was Oracle during my college placements. I cleared up to the HR round and then faced rejection. But this experience is not about that one.
The second time I got the opportunity for a JOB in Oracle was from a message from HR.
Online Test: The first step was an online test.
The test had 5 sections namely-
The number in the brackets denote the amount of questions for corresponding section.
- Aptitude and Logical were standard questions I didn’t faced much difficulty there.
- OOPS questions were basically related to output of code. The topics focused were Inheritance and Polymorphism.
- OS questions were related to process handling, like related to process IDs and resources of child and parent processes.
- SQL questions were mainly related to manipulations in the SELECT statement, like performing arithmetical tasks in the query for random numbers, interaction of two different data types including the behavior when and int is added to varchar2 etc.
As per one of the interviewers my best section was OS in which I got 71 out of 100.
Now coming to the Interview rounds.
Interview Rounds: The rounds were online on zoom.
Round 1: This round was taken by a Senior Developer in the team. In the beginning the questions were related to the projects which I did during my internship and current employment, focus was on the current employment though.
- What server do we use to deploy our product?
- How we are handling the data for our product?
- Write the code of query for fetching certain data.
- Why are you using while loop instead of for each loop in the code?
Then the questions shifted towards SQL.
- What is the difference between TRUNCATE and DELETE?
- Write a query to fetch the 2nd highest paying employee from the table.
Few questions from OOPS.
- What is Serializable and Throwable?
- What is the direct parent class of Exception?
2 coding questions were asked which are as follows:
- Write a program to check if a given string is palindrome or not.
- Write a program to print a binary tree.
After that he wanted to know the technologies which I am familiar with such as Spring, MVC, Java Enterprise etc.
In the end I was made familiar with the team and the work profile for which the interview was.
PS: At the start of the meeting one extension known firefly.ai was enabled in my Chrome browser to which I gave permission un-intentionally and that started recording and taking notes of the meeting. It took several iterations of connection and disconnection to remove that. So basically I made a fool out of myself.
Round 2: The second round was conducted by the Manager of the Team. Again in the start after normal introduction I was asked to explain about my projects. This round was a little less technical as the questions were related to work experience, future goals and families.
One coding question was asked.
- Given two binary trees check if one tree is a subtree of other or not.
As the time had exceeded for the interview I was asked to mail the solution afterwards.
Round 3: This round was conducted by the Director of the Team. It was similar to the 2nd round, but he asked me in detail about the project I did during my internship.
The discussion was related to the following.
- What was the need of the project?
- Did I provide the solution or I was just implementing the product?
- How the product was deployed? What technologies or platforms were used?
- How did you complete such big project in so little time?
1 Coding Question was asked in this round.
- Find the minimum distance between two nodes in a fully connected bi-directional weighted graph.
I was given approximately 30 minutes for this but was unable to provide the working solution. So he asked me about the approach which I was using. He seemed satisfied by the answer.
The overall interview experience was good as I was confident most of the time and the interviewers also made me comfortable during the discussions.
At the end I was offered the position, and I am glad to say that I will be joining there shortly.
Hope this experience help you to land your dream job as soon as possible.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course. In case you are prepared, test your skills using TCS, Wipro, Amazon and Microsoft Test Serieses.