Given a set of points as and a line as ax+by+c = 0. We need to find a point on given line for which sum of distances from given set of points is minimum.
In above figure optimum location of point of x - y - 3 = 0 line is (2, -1), whose total distance with other points is 20.77, which is minimum obtainable total distance.
If we take one point on given line at infinite distance then total distance cost will be infinite, now when we move this point on line towards given points the total distance cost starts decreasing and after some time, it again starts increasing which reached to infinite on the other infinite end of line so distance cost curve looks like a U-curve and we have to find the bottom value of this U-curve.
As U-curve is not monotonically increasing or decreasing we can’t use binary search for finding bottom most point, here we will use ternary search for finding bottom most point, ternary search skips one third of search space at each iteration, you can read more about ternary search here.
So solution proceeds as follows, we start with low and high initialized as some smallest and largest values respectively, then we start iteration, in each iteration we calculate two mids, mid1 and mid2, which represent 1/3rd and 2/3rd position in search space, we calculate total distance of all points with mid1 and mid2 and update low or high by comparing these distance cost, this iteration continues untill low and high become approximately equal.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Check whether a given point lies inside a triangle or not
- How to check if a given point lies inside or outside a polygon?
- Triangle with no point inside
- Check whether a point exists in circle sector or not.
- Find an Integer point on a line segment with given two ends
- Minimum distance to travel to cover all intervals
- Find the Missing Point of Parallelogram
- Program for Point of Intersection of Two Lines
- Rotation of a point about another point in C++
- Reflection of a point about a line in C++
- Find points at a given distance on a line of given slope
- Find mirror image of a point in 2-D plane
- Neighbors of a point on a circle using Bresenham's algorithm
- Check whether a given point lies inside a rectangle or not
- Find minimum radius such that atleast k point lie inside the circle