Off campus placements can be really tiring and intimidating at times and requires an additional effort of contacting the recruiter and getting shortlisted for the selection process of the company and hence factors like resume building, past work experience, etc. comes into play.
Major differences between on campus and off campus placements can be found in the articles given below:
Due to intense competition in Off campus placement drives good preparation is very essential covering a wide variety of topics in CS as described below:
- Work on Resume : HR and Talent Acquisition team spends a very short interval of time scrolling through your resume and hence making an effective resume is very important. Use any standard resume template or below links to build a good resume.
- Coding Practice: Most companies take an online test before proceeding to Interview rounds and hence good coding practice is necessary.
- Important Computer Science Subjects you should know :
- Operating System : Good knowledge of Operating System is important and candidates get lots of operating system based questions asked in telephonic round and face to face interview rounds.
- Computer Network : Networking based questions are not asked in lot of companies but companies like Cisco, Juniper Networks, Citrix, etc. who work extensively with networks focus a lot on this topic.
- DBMS : Databases are used in almost every company and form a huge segment of the Interviews especially face to face Interviews where you can expect both theoretical questions as well as to write SQL queries and hence good knowledge of databases is very necessary.
- Pointers : Pointers might play a significant role in MCQs asked in Online tests or as debugging questions in Interview rounds especially when you are applying for a profile which requires good knowledge of C and Embedded C like for companies like Honeywell, Western Digital, Qualcom, etc.
- C++ : C++ is one of the most widely used coding language used in lots of legacy companies and hence it’s in depth knowledge for lots of companies become crucial, although it can be skipped if you are interviewing for a non C++ profile.
- OOP Concepts : Object Oriented Programming plays an important role in deciding how a code should be structured and plays an important role in off campus interview starting from telephonic round to face to face interview round and hence should be given it’s due importance.
The Complete Reference Java Book, Chapter (6 – 11).
- Interview Experience : Read Interview Experiences for the company which you are preparing. GeeksforGeeks provide an extensive collection of Interview Experiences of lots of companies and is best for going through Interview Experiences.
- Resume Knowledge : Last but not the least know your resume well, your projects and internships, example you worked on some security technology like SSL then have good theoretical knowledge on SSL and be in a position to talk about your work experience for a long duration and explain it properly.
Hope this helps, all the best. 🙂
- Placement 100 : Complete Interview Preparation package you must have this Placement Season
- TCS Placement Preparation
- Cognizant ( CTS ) Placement Preparation
- Placement Preparation Guide
- Amazon Interview Experience Offcampus for SDE-1
- Amazon Interview Experience | SDE-1 offcampus
- A Step by Step Guide for Placement Preparation | Set 1
- A Step by Step Guide for Placement Preparation | Set 2
- Must have books for Placements Preparation
- A Must Do Free Interview Preparation Course by GeeksforGeeks
- Google Summer of Code Preparation
- TCS Digital Experience 2019 | Last Minute Preparation
- Google Interview Preparation For Software Engineer - A Complete Guide
- Live Classes for Data Structures and Algorithms: Interview Preparation Focused Course
- How I cracked EPAM Systems Drive 2020- Complete Guide On Preparation and FAQs
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.