numpy.var(arr, axis = None) : Compute the variance of the given data (array elements) along the specified axis(if any).
x = 1 1 1 1 1
Standard Deviation = 0 . Variance = 0
y = 9, 2, 5, 4, 12, 7, 8, 11, 9, 3, 7, 4, 12, 5, 4, 10, 9, 6, 9, 4
Step 1 : Mean of distribution 4 = 7
Step 2 : Summation of (x – x.mean())**2 = 178
Step 3 : Finding Mean = 178 /20 = 8.9
This Result is Variance.
arr : [array_like] input array.
axis : [int or tuples of int] axis along which we want to calculate the variance. Otherwise, it will consider
arrto be flattened (works on all the axis). axis = 0 means variance along the column and axis = 1 means variance along the row.
out : [ndarray, optional] Different array in which we want to place the result. The array must have the same dimensions as expected output.
dtype : [data-type, optional] Type we desire while computing variance.
Results : Variance of the array (a scalar value if axis is none) or array with variance values along specified axis.
arr : [20, 2, 7, 1, 34] var of arr : 158.16 var of arr : 158.16 var of arr : 158.16
var of arr, axis = None : 236.14000000000004 var of arr, axis = 0 : [ 57.1875 312.75 345.6875 9.25 0. ] var of arr, axis = 1 : [ 0. 77.04 421.84 269.04]
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- Python if else
- try-except vs If in Python
- SHA in Python
- abs() in Python
- Python Set | pop()
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.