numpy.maximum() function is used to find the element-wise maximum of array elements.
It compares two arrays and returns a new array containing the element-wise maxima. If one of the elements being compared is a NaN, then that element is returned. If both elements are NaNs then the first is returned.
Syntax : numpy.maximum(arr1, arr2, /, out=None, *, where=True, casting=’same_kind’, order=’K’, dtype=None, ufunc ‘maximum’)
arr1 : [array_like] Input array.
arr2 : [array_like] Input array.
out : [ndarray, optional] A location into which the result is stored.
-> If provided, it must have a shape that the inputs broadcast to.
-> If not provided or None, a freshly-allocated array is returned.
**kwargs : allows you to pass keyword variable length of argument to a function. It is used when we want to handle named argument in a function.
where : [array_like, optional]True value means to calculate the universal functions(ufunc) at that position, False value means to leave the value in the output alone.
Return : [ndarray or scalar] Result.
The maximum of arr1 and arr2, element-wise. This is a scalar if both arr1 and arr2 are scalars.
Code #1 : Working
Input number1 : 10 Input number2 : 21 maximum of 10 and 21 : 21
Code #2 :
Input array1 : [2, 8, 125] Input array2 : [3, 3, 15] Output array after selecting maximum: [ 3 8 125]
Code #3 :
Input array1 : [nan, 0, nan] Input array2 : [nan, nan, 0] Output array after selecting maximum: [ nan nan nan]
- Reusable piece of python functionality for wrapping arbitrary blocks of code : Python Context Managers
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- Python Set | pop()
- Python vs PHP
- max() and min() in Python
- chr() in Python
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.