Given N-sided polygon we need to find the total number of triangles formed by joining the vertices of the given polygon with exactly two sides being common and no side being common.
Input : N = 6
Output : 6 2
The image below is of a triangle forming inside a Hexagon by joining vertices as shown above.
The triangle formed has two sides (AB and BC) common with that of a polygon. Similarly BC and
CD can make one triangle. With this, we can say that there will be a total of 6 triangles possible
having two sides common with that of a polygon. The second image of a hexagon,
a triangle is formed with no side common with that of a polygon.
There will be just 2 triangles possible, BFD and ACE.
Number of triangles formed are 6 and 2 with two side common and with no side common respectively.
Input : N = 7
Output : 7 7
- To make a triangle two side common with a polygon we will take any one side of a n-sided polygon, take one vertex of the chosen side and join an edge adjacent to the vertex of the other vertex.
- Traversing through each vertex and adjoining an edge adjacent to the vertex of the other vertex ,there will be N number of triangles having two side common.
- Now, to calculate the number of triangles with no side common subtract the total number of triangles with one side common and the total number of triangles with two side from the total number of triangles possible in a polygon.
- Triangles with no common side = Total triangles ( nC3 ) – one side common triangles ( n * ( n – 4 ) – two side common triangles ( n ).
- Thus number of triangles with no common side with the polygon would be equal to n * ( n – 4 ) * ( n – 5 ) / 6.
Note:To calculate the number of triangles having one side common with that of a polygon click here
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.
In case you wish to attend live classes with industry experts, please refer DSA Live Classes