Given a binary string str, the task is to print the numbers of steps required to convert it to one by the following operations:
- If ‘S’ is odd add 1 to it.
- If ‘S’ is even divide it by 2.
Input: str = “1001001”
Input: str = “101110”
Number ‘101110’ is even, after dividing it by 2 we get an odd number ‘10111’ so we will add 1 to it. Then we’ll get ‘11000’ which is even and can be divide three times continuously in a row and get ’11’ which is odd, adding 1 to it will give us ‘100’ which is even and can be divided 2 times in a row. As, a result we get 1.
So 8 times the above two operations were required in this number.
Below is the step by step algorithm to solve this problem:
- Initialize the string S as a binary number.
- If the size of the binary is 1, then the required number of actions will be 0.
- If the last digit is 0, then its an even number so one operation is required to divide it by 2.
- After encountering 1, traverse till you get 0, with every digit one operation will take place.
- After encountering 0 after 1 while traversing, replace 0 by 1 and start from step 4 again.
Below is the implementation of above algorithm:
- Minimum steps to convert one binary string to other only using negation
- Minimum swaps required to convert one binary string to another
- Number of odd and even results for every value of x in range [min, max] after performing N steps
- Steps required to visit M points in order on a circular ring of N points
- Minimum number of operations required to reduce N to 1
- Binary representation of next greater number with same number of 1's and 0's
- Minimum number of days required to complete the work
- Count the number of carry operations required to add two numbers
- Minimum number of swaps required to sort an array | Set 2
- Number of squares of side length required to cover an N*M rectangle
- Minimum number of towers required such that every house is in the range of at least one tower
- Find the number of operations required to make all array elements Equal
- Minimum number of moves required to reach the destination by the king in a chess board
- Minimum number of cuts required to make circle segments equal sized
- Convert a number of length N such that it contains any one digit at least 'K' times
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.