Below is syntax of Scanf. It requires two arguments:
scanf("Format Specifier", Variable Address); Format Specifier: Type of value to expect while input Variable Address: &variable returns the variable's memory address.
In case of a string (character array), the variable itself points to the first element of the array in question. Thus, there is no need to use the ‘&’ operator to pass the address.
(Is Base address = address of first element)? 1
- ‘&’ is used to get the address of the variable. C does not have a string type, String is just an array of characters and an array variable stores the address of the first index location.
- By default the variable itself points to the base address and therefore to access base address of string, there is no need of adding an extra ‘&’
This article is contributed by Ajeet. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Problem with scanf() when there is fgets()/gets()/scanf() after it
- Why to use fgets() over scanf() in C?
- scanf("%[^\n]s", str) Vs gets(str) in C with Examples
- Use of & in scanf() but not in printf()
- Difference between scanf() and gets() in C
- Cin-Cout vs Scanf-Printf
- scanf() and fscanf() in C - Simple Yet Poweful
- Return values of printf() and scanf() in C/C++
- Inbuilt library functions for user Input | scanf, fscanf, sscanf, scanf_s, fscanf_s, sscanf_s
- C function to Swap strings
- Strings in C
- Storage for Strings in C
- Program to check if two strings are same or not
- Converting Strings to Numbers in C/C++
- C Program to Reverse Array of Strings
- How to write long strings in Multi-lines C/C++?
- How to convert C style strings to std::string and vice versa?
- How to call function within function in C or C++
- arc function in C
- putchar() function in C