In earlier post Restoring Division learned about restoring division. Now, here perform Non-Restoring division, it is less complex than the restoring one because simpler operation are involved i.e. addition and subtraction, also now restoring step is performed. In the method, rely on the sign bit of the register which initially contain zero named as A.
Here is the flow chart given below.
Let’s pick the step involved:
- Step-1: First the registers are initialized with corresponding values (Q = Dividend, M = Divisor, A = 0, n = number of bits in dividend)
- Step-2: Check the sign bit of register A
- Step-3: If it is 1 shift left content of AQ and perform A = A+M, otherwise shift left AQ and perform A = A-M (means add 2’s complement of M to A and store it to A)
- Step-4: Again the sign bit of register A
- Step-5: If sign bit is 1 Q become 0 otherwise Q become 1 (Q means least significant bit of register Q)
- Step-6: Decrements value of N by 1
- Step-7: If N is not equal to zero go to Step 2 otherwise go to next step
- Step-8: If sign bit of A is 1 then perform A = A+M
- Step-9: Register Q contain quotient and A contain remainder
Examples: Perform Non_Restoring Division for Unsigned Integer
Dividend =11 Divisor =3 -M =11101
|00001||011_||Left shift AQ|
|11100||110_||Left shift AQ|
|11111||100_||Left Shift AQ|
|00101||001_||Left Shift AQ|
Quotient = 3 (Q) Remainder = 2 (A)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Restoring Division Algorithm For Unsigned Integer
- Implementation of Non-Restoring Division Algorithm for Unsigned Integer
- 8086 program to sort an integer array in ascending order
- 8086 program to sort an integer array in descending order
- 8085 program to print the table of input integer
- 8086 program to print the table of input integer
- Advantages and disadvantages of Computer
- Difference between C.V.T and U.P.S
- Difference between Memory Mapped IO and IO Mapped IO with reference to 8085 microprocessor
- Difference between SMPS and UPS
- Advantage and Disadvantage of Mesh Topology
- Previous Solved CS Papers Year wise - GATE / UGC / ISRO
- Importance of Sudo GATE CS 2021 Test Series
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Star Topology
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.