The filehandle.appendFile() method is defined in the File System module of Node.js. The File System module is basically to interact with the hard disk of the user’s computer. The appendFile() method is used to asynchronously append new data in the existing file or if the file does not exist then the file is created first and after that given data is appended to it.
Parameters: This method accept two parameter as mentioned above and described below:
- data: It is a String or Buffer that is going to append to the target file.
- options: It is an optional parameter that affects the output in someway accordingly we provide it to the function call or not.
- encoding: It specifies the encoding technique, default is ‘UTF8’.
Approach: The fs.promises.open(path, mode) method returns a promise that resolved with the filehandle object. First, we create a filehandle object and after that proceed with appendFile() method with the help of this.
When operating on filehandles, the mode cannot be changed from what it was set to with fs.promises.open(), therefore we make sure to add ‘a’ or ‘a+’ to the mode when invoking fs.promises.open() method otherwise appendFile() method just acts as writeFile() method.
Example 1: This example illustrates how new data appended to a previously existing files.
Example 2: This example illustrates how data appended to the newly created file at run time.
Directory structure before running the program:
Directory structure after running the program:
- Nodejs | Automatic restart NodeJs server with nodemon
- Nodejs console.timeLog() Method
- Nodejs | DNS
- Nodejs | Jimp
- Web-Socket in NodeJS
- Nodejs | DNS | setServers()
- Nodejs | GM write() Function
- Nodejs | GM whitePoint() Function
- Nodejs | GM transparent() Function
- Nodejs | GM drawCircle() Function
- Nodejs | GM whiteThreshold() Function
- Nodejs | GM resize() Function
- Nodejs | GM drawEllipse() Function
- Nodejs | GM sharpen() Function
- Encrypting Data in NodeJS
- Difference between Reactjs and Nodejs
- Nodejs | GM motionBlur() Function
- Nodejs | GM operator() Function
- Nodejs | GM charcoal() Function
- Nodejs | GM blur() Function
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.