Node.js crypto.pbkdf2Sync() Method
The crypto.pbkdf2Sync() method gives a synchronous Password-Based Key Derivation Function 2 i.e, (PBKDF2) implementation. Moreover, a particular HMAC digest algorithm which is defined by digest is implemented to derive a key of the required byte length (keylen) from the stated password, salt, and iterations.
crypto.pbkdf2Sync( password, salt, iterations, keylen, digest )
Parameters: This method accepts five parameters as mentioned above and described below:
- password: It is of type string, Buffer, TypedArray, or DataView.
- salt: It must be as unique as possible. However, it is recommended that a salt is arbitrary and in any case, it is at least 16 bytes long. It is of type string, Buffer, TypedArray, or DataView.
- iterations: It must be a number and should be set as high as possible. So, the more is the number of iterations, the more secure the derived key will be, but in that case, it takes a greater amount of time to complete. It is of type number.
- keylen: It is the key of the required byte length and it is of type number.
- digest: It is a digest algorithm of string type.
Return Type: It returns the derived key as buffer. The below examples illustrate the use of crypto.pbkdf2Sync() method in Node.js:
<Buffer 3c f1 85 49 62 52 38 64 2a 4e b1 4c f6 25 2e 1e fc d7 8e 01 c9 40 d7 84 63 5e 24 ef 71 0f 91 83 bb 6d 03 bd 73 43 33 ec 78 a9 78 c8 1f ea7a dc 8c a6 ...>
3745e482c6e0ade35da10139e797157f4a5da669dad7d5da88ef87e4 7471cc47ed941c7ad618e827304f083f8707f12b7cfdd5f489b782f10cc269 e3c08d59ae04919ee902c99dba309cde75569fbe8e6d5c341d6f2576f6618c 589e77911a261ee964e2