Given an array, print the Next Greater Element (NGE) for every element. The Next greater Element for an element x is the first greater element on the right side of x in array. Elements for which no greater element exist, consider next greater element as -1. The next greater elements should be printed in same order as input array.
Input : arr = [4, 5, 2, 25}
Output : 5 25 25 -1
Input : arr = [4, 5, 2, 25, 10}
Output : 5 25 25 -1 -1
We have discussed a solution here that does not print same order. Here we traverse array from rightmost element.
In this approach we have started iterating from the last element(nth) to the first(1st) element
The benefit is that when we arrive at a certain index his next greater element will be already in stack and we can directly get this element while at the same index.
- After reaching a certain index we will pop the stack till we get the greater element on top from the current element and that element will be the answer for current element
- If stack gets empty while doing the pop operation then the answer would be -1
Then we will stored the answer in an array for the current index.
Below is the implementation of above approach:
11 -- 13 13 -- 21 21 -- -1 3 -- -1
Time Complexity: O(n)
Auxiliary Space: O(n) There is no extra space required if you want to print the next greater of each element in reverse order of input(means first, for the last element and then for second last and so on till the first element)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Find next Smaller of next Greater in an array
- Find next greater number with same set of digits
- Next Greater Element
- Next Greater Frequency Element
- Find the next greater element in a Circular Array
- Elements greater than the previous and next element in an Array
- Distance from Next Greater element
- Closest greater or same value on left side for every element in array
- Replace every array element by Bitwise Xor of previous and next element
- Replace every element of the array by its next element
- Arrange array elements such that last digit of an element is equal to first digit of the next element
- Maximum element in an array such that its previous and next element product is maximum
- Print next greater number of Q queries
- Maximum product of indexes of next greater on left and right
- Round to next greater multiple of 8
- Count of Array elements greater than all elements on its left and next K elements on its right
- Replace every element with the least greater element on its right
- Closest greater element for every array element from another array
- Longest Subarray with first element greater than or equal to Last element
- Count of pairs from arrays A and B such that element in A is greater than element in B at that index
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.