Interpolation is an estimation of a value within two known values in a sequence of values.
Newton’s divided difference interpolation formula is a interpolation technique used when the interval difference is not same for all sequence of values.
Suppose f(x0), f(x1), f(x2)………f(xn) be the (n+1) values of the function y=f(x) corresponding to the arguments x=x0, x1, x2…xn, where interval differences are not same
Then the first divided difference is given by
The second divided difference is given by
and so on…
Divided differences are symmetric with respect to the arguments i.e independent of the order of arguments.
f[x0, x1]=f[x1, x0]
f[x0, x1, x2]=f[x2, x1, x0]=f[x1, x2, x0]
By using first divided difference, second divided difference as so on .A table is formed which is called the divided difference table.
Divided difference table:
NEWTON’S DIVIDED DIFFERENCE INTERPOLATION FORMULA
Input : Value at 7 Output : Value at 7 is 13.47
Below is the implementation for Newton’s divided difference interpolation method.
12 1 -0.1667 0.05 13 0.3333 0.1333 14 1 16 Value at 7 is 13.47
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program for Stirling Interpolation Formula
- Program to implement Inverse Interpolation using Lagrange Formula
- Lagrange's Interpolation
- Newton Forward And Backward Interpolation
- Bessel's Interpolation
- Gauss's Forward Interpolation
- Legendre's formula (Given p and n, find the largest x such that p^x divides n!)
- Section formula (Point that divides a line in given ratio)
- Print first n Fibonacci Numbers using direct formula
- Haversine formula to find distance between two points on a sphere
- Roots of the quadratic equation when a + b + c = 0 without using Shridharacharya formula
- First N natural can be divided into two sets with given difference and co-prime sums
- Find minimum number to be divided to make a number a perfect square
- Program to find remainder when large number is divided by 11
- Largest number by which given 3 numbers should be divided such that they leaves same remainder
- Program to find remainder when large number is divided by r
- Minimum Cuts can be made in the Chessboard such that it is not divided into 2 parts
- Find the sums for which an array can be divided into sub-arrays of equal sum
- Minimize the sum of the squares of the sum of elements of each group the array is divided into
- Check if an array of 1s and 2s can be divided into 2 parts with equal sum
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.