Network Security refers to the measures taken by any enterprise or organisation to secure its computer network and data using both hardware and software systems. This aims at securing the confidentiality and accessibility of the data and network. Every company or organisation that handles large amount of data, has a degree of solutions against many cyber threats.
The most basic example of Network Security is password protection where the user of the network oneself chooses. In the recent times, Network Security has become the central topic of cyber security with many organisations inviting applications of people who have skills in this area. The network security solutions protect various vulnerabilities of the computer systems such as:
1. Users 2. Locations 3. Data 4. Devices 5. Applications
Network Security : Working
The basic principle of network security is protecting huge stored data and network in layers that ensures a bedding of rules and regulations that have to be acknowledged before performing any activity on the data.
These levels are:
1. Physical 2. Technical 3. Administrative
These are explained as following below.
- Physical Network Security:
This is the most basic level that includes protecting the data and network though unauthorized personnel from acquiring the control over the confidentiality of the network. These includes external peripherals and routers might be used for cable connections. The same can be achieved by using devices like bio-metric systems.
- Technical Network Security:
It primarily focusses on protecting the data stored in the network or data involved in transitions through the network. This type serves two purposes. One, protection from the unauthorized users and the other being protection from malicious activities.
- Administrative Network Security:
This level of network security protects user behavior like how the permission has been granted and how the authorization process takes place. This also ensures the level of sophistication the network might need for protecting it through all the attacks. This level also suggests necessary amendments that have to be done over the infrastructure.
Types of Network Security:
The few types of network securities are discussed as below :
- Access Control:
Not every person should have complete allowance to the accessibility to the network or its data. The one way to examine this is by going through each personnel’s details. This is done through Network Access Control which ensures that only a handful of authorized personnel must be able to work with allowed amount of resources.
- Antivirus and Anti-malware Software:
This type of network security ensures that any malicious software does not enter the network and jeopardize the security of the data. The malicious software like Viruses, Trojans, Worms are handled by the same. This ensure that not only the entry of the malware is protected but also that the system is well equipped to fight once it has entered.
- Cloud Security:
Now a day, a lot many organisations are joining hands with the cloud technology where a large amount of important data is stored over the internet. This is very vulnerable to the malpractices that few unauthorized dealers might pertain. This data must be protected an it should be ensured that this protection is not jeopardize over anything. Many businesses embrace SaaS applications for providing some of its employees the allowance of accessing the data stored over the cloud. This type of security ensures in creating gaps in visibility of the data.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Difference between Network Security and Cyber Security
- Difference between Information Security and Network Security
- Difference between Cyber Security and Information Security
- Principal of Information System Security : Security System Development Life Cycle
- How Security System Should Evolve to Handle Cyber Security Threats and Vulnerabilities?
- Port Security in Computer Network
- Voice Biometric Technique in Network Security
- A Model for Network Security
- Cryptography and Network Security Principles
- Protection Methods for Network Security
- Security Environment in Computer Network
- Difference between Security Group and Network ACL in AWS
- Pivoting - Moving Inside a Network (Cyber Security)
- Basic Network Attacks in Computer Network
- Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Differences between Wireless Adhoc Network and Wireless Sensor Network
- Difference between Next Generation Network and Traditional Network
- Difference between Software Defined Network and Traditional Network
- What is Information Security?
- Hash Functions in System Security
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.