Multi-dimensional arrays are such type of arrays which stores an another array at each index instead of single element. In other words, define multi-dimensional arrays as array of arrays. As the name suggests, every element in this array can be an array and they can also hold other sub-arrays within. Arrays or sub-arrays in multidimensional arrays can be accessed using multiple dimensions.
Dimensions: Dimensions of multidimensional array indicates the number of indices needed to select an element. For a two dimensional array two indices to select an element.
Two dimensional array: It is the simplest form of a multidimensional array. It can be created using nested array. These type of arrays can be used to store any type of elements, but the index is always a number. By default, the index starts with zero.
array ( array (elements...), array (elements...), ... )
Array (  => Array (  => Ankit  => Ram  => Shyam )  => Array (  => Unnao  => Trichy  => Kanpur ) )
Two dimensional associative array: Al associative array is similar to indexed array but instead of linear storage (indexed storage), every value can be assigned with a user-defined key of string type.
Display Marks: Array ( [Ankit] => Array ( [C] => 95 [DCO] => 85 [FOL] => 74 ) [Ram] => Array ( [C] => 78 [DCO] => 98 [FOL] => 46 ) [Anoop] => Array ( [C] => 88 [DCO] => 46 [FOL] => 99 ) )
Three Dimensional Array: It is the form of multidimensional array. Initialization in Three-Dimensional array is same as that of Two-dimensional arrays. The difference is as the number of dimension increases so the number of nested braces will also increase.
array ( array ( array (elements...), array (elements...), ... ), array ( array (elements...), array (elements...), ... ), ... )
Array (  => Array (  => Array (  => 1  => 2 )  => Array (  => 3  => 4 ) )  => Array (  => Array (  => 5  => 6 )  => Array (  => 7  => 8 ) ) )
Accessing multidimensional array elements: There are mainly two ways to access multidimensional array elements in PHP.
- Elements can be accessed using dimensions as array_name[‘first dimension’][‘second dimension’].
- Elements can be accessed using for loop.
- Elements can be accessed using for each loop.
95 95 85 74 78 98 46 88 46 99
- Multidimensional Arrays in Java
- Perl | Multidimensional Arrays
- PHP multidimensional array search by value
- How to search by key=>value in a multidimensional array in PHP ?
- Sort a multidimensional array by date element in PHP
- Convert multidimensional array to XML file in PHP
- How to check an array is multidimensional or not in PHP ?
- How to merge the duplicate value in multidimensional array in PHP ?
- Multidimensional Associative Array in PHP
- Multidimensional data analysis in Python
- Perl | Multidimensional Hashes
- Multidimensional Array in R
- PHP | Arrays
- Sorting Arrays in PHP 5
- PHP | Merging two or more arrays using array_merge()
- PHP | Find Intersection of two arrays
- Merge two arrays keeping original keys in PHP
- Associative Arrays in PHP
- PHP Program for Median of two sorted arrays of same size
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.