Morgan Stanley Interview Experience
Morgan Stanley visited our campus for internship and full-time positions[6 months internship + Full Time]. I was offered 6-month internship.
Round 1: This round had three sections :
Aptitude – This section had questions on Permutation Combination, Mental Ability, Compound Interest, etc. Total questions – 8, Time duration – 20 minutes.
Debugging – This round had 8 questions again. The time duration was 20 minutes. Wrong code snippets were given, and we had to find the mistake and correct it.
Coding Round – This round had 3 questions and the time duration was 1.5 hours.
- A variation of https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/program-find-slope-line/
- A variation of https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/largest-subarray-with-equal-number-of-0s-and-1s/
- A variation of https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/longest-common-subsequence-dp-4/
I solved 3 or 4 out of 10 aptitude questions, 7/8 debugging questions and all coding questions. Out of 190 students, they selected 24 for the next round.
Round 2: This round covered a lot of topics and lasted for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Tell me about your favourite project, what did you implement, and what are challenges you faced.
C++ basics and Object-Oriented Programming
- What are the different data types in C++?
- What are access modifiers?
- Explain object oriented programming. What is inheritance ? What are the types of inheritance?
- Explain and code multiple level inheritance. In multiple inheritance, does the order of defining base class matter.
- What is polymorphism?
- Give example of Operator Overloading
- What is the difference between a struct and a class?
- What is virtual function? Explain virtual tables and virtual pointers.
- What is the difference between malloc and calloc?
- What is dynamic memory allocation?
- What is paging and page fault ? What is virtual memory ?
- What is multithreading ? What is the difference between process and thread ?
- What are the various scheduling algorithms ? Why are scheduling algorithms used ?
- What is deadlock ? What are mutex and semaphore ?
DBMS: The interviewer asked me if I know database management system. I told her that I have worked with databases but have not done a formal course as I am not from CS . She then told me it is fine and asked me about Web Services instead.
- What is client server model ?
- What are the different types of http protocols?
- What is a REST API ? What are the different methods?
- Given a vector of strings, return the index of element that has maximum number of vowels. Asked me to code the brute force approach and discussed the optimized solution.
9/24ents were selected for the next round.
Round 3: This round was taken by a really experienced engineer and was a system design + HR round.
- Design an online banking management system. Low Level System Design and Object Oriented Programming was expected. The interviewer also expected me to take care of concurrency issues.
HR Type Questions
- Talk about your internships. Asked me in detail about a specific internship.
- Talk about your favourite project.
- Asked me to give an instance of when I had worked in a team and what responsibilities I had handled.
6 students were selected finally. 4 were offered internship + full-time and 2 were offered 6 month internship.
Preparation: Morgan Stanley Archives from GeeksforGeeks. (Very important. Got a good idea of what sort of questions will be asked. OOPs and C++ from https://www.studytonight.com/cpp/
Operating Systems from GeeksforGeeks and StudyTonight. I studied only the important topics that I observed were being asked frequently in Morgan Stanley. They are
- Process vs Thread
- Why is thread a lightweight process and process heavy
- Simple C++ program to implement threads
- Mutex and Semaphore
- Virtual Memory
- Page Replacement
- Scheduling Algorithms
- LRU Cache
System Design from Youtube and Grokking the Object-Oriented Design Interview.
Data Structures and Algorithms: Leetcode
Revised each and every line from your CV. Make sure to know everything in depth, whatever is on your CV is fair game.