Given three numbers x, y and p, compute (xy) % p.
Input: x = 2, y = 3, p = 5 Output: 3 Explanation: 2^3 % 5 = 8 % 5 = 3. Input: x = 2, y = 5, p = 13 Output: 6 Explanation: 2^5 % 13 = 32 % 13 = 6.
Below is discussed iterative solution.
The problem with above solutions is, overflow may occur for large value of n or x. Therefore, power is generally evaluated under modulo of a large number.
Below is the fundamental modular property that is used for efficiently computing power under modular arithmetic.
(ab) mod p = ( (a mod p) (b mod p) ) mod p For example a = 50, b = 100, p = 13 50 mod 13 = 11 100 mod 13 = 9 (50 * 100) mod 13 = ( (50 mod 13) * (100 mod 13) ) mod 13 or (5000) mod 13 = ( 11 * 9 ) mod 13 or 8 = 8
Below is the implementation based on above property.
Power is 6
Time Complexity of above solution is O(Log y).
Modular exponentiation (Recursive)
This article is contributed by Shivam Agrawal. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Modular exponentiation (Recursive)
- Modular Exponentiation of Complex Numbers
- Modular Arithmetic
- Matrix Exponentiation
- Find Nth term (A matrix exponentiation example)
- Expected number of moves to reach the end of a board | Matrix Exponentiation
- Find power of power under mod of a prime
- Check if given number is a power of d where d is a power of 2
- Compute power of power k times % m
- Larger of a^b or b^a (a raised to power b or b raised to power a)
- Find the sum of power of bit count raised to the power B
- How to avoid overflow in modular multiplication?
- Modular Division
- Using Chinese Remainder Theorem to Combine Modular equations
- Find modular node in a linked list
- Modular multiplicative inverse from 1 to n
- Number of solutions to Modular Equations
- Modular Multiplication
- Modular Addition
- Find the value of P and modular inverse of Q modulo 998244353