Given an array of digits (values are from 0 to 9), find the minimum possible sum of two numbers formed from digits of the array. All digits of given array must be used to form the two numbers.
Input: [6, 8, 4, 5, 2, 3] Output: 604 The minimum sum is formed by numbers 358 and 246 Input: [5, 3, 0, 7, 4] Output: 82 The minimum sum is formed by numbers 35 and 047
Since we want to minimize the sum of two numbers to be formed, we must divide all digits in two halves and assign half-half digits to them. We also need to make sure that the leading digits are smaller.
We build a Min Heap with the elements of the given array, which takes O(n) worst time. Now we retrieve min values (2 at a time) of array, by polling from the Priority Queue and append these two min values to our numbers, till the heap becomes empty, i.e., all the elements of array get exhausted. We return the sum of two formed numbers, which is our required answer. Overall complexity is O(nlogn) as push() operation takes O(logn) and it’s repeated n times.
The required sum is 604
We can follow another approach also like this, as we need two numbers such that their sum is minimum, then we would also need two minimum numbers. If we arrange our array in ascending order then we can two digits that will form the smallest numbers,
e.g, 2 3 4 5 6 8, now we can get two numbers starting from 2 and 3. Now first part is done. Now we have to form such that they would contain small digits, i.e pick digits alternatively from array extend your two numbers.
i.e 246, 358. Now if we see analyze this, then we can pick even indexed numbers for num1 and odd number for num2.
Below is the implementation:
The required sum is 82
Time Complexity : O(nLogN)
This article is contributed by Prakhar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Minimum sum of two numbers formed from digits of an array
- Sum of all numbers that can be formed with permutations of n digits
- N digit numbers divisible by 5 formed from the M digits
- Count numbers formed by given two digit with sum having given digits
- Find the Largest Cube formed by Deleting minimum Digits from a number
- Print all distinct integers that can be formed by K numbers from a given array of N numbers
- Find last k digits in product of an array numbers
- Maximum possible time that can be formed from four digits
- Find the largest number that can be formed with the given digits
- Recursive sum of digits of a number formed by repeated appends
- Find all strings formed from characters mapped to digits of a number
- Minimum number of digits to be removed so that no two consecutive digits are same
- Minimum and Maximum prime numbers in an array
- Numbers with sum of digits equal to the sum of digits of its all prime factor
- Sum of all subsets of a set formed by first n natural numbers