Given a lowercase characters string str of size N. In one operation any character can be changed into some other character. The task is to find the minimum number of operations such that no two adjacent characters are equal.
Input: Str = “caaab”
Change the second a to any other character, let’s change it to b. So the string becomes “cabab”. and no two adjacent characters are equal. So minimum number of operations is 1.
Input: Str = “xxxxxxx”
Replace ‘x’ at index 1, 3 and 5 to ‘a’, ‘b’, and ‘c’ respectively.
Approach: The idea is similar to implement sliding window technique. In this, we need to find the non-overlapping substrings that has all the characters same. Then the minimum operations will be the sum of the floor of half the length of each substring.
- There is no need to change a character directly. Instead consider all substring started from any index having only one character.
- Now consider any substring of length l such that all the characters of that substring are equal then change floor ( l / 2) characters of this substring to some other character.
- So just iterate over all the characters of the string from any character ch find out the maximal length of the substring such that all the characters in that substring are equal to the character ch.
- Find the length l of this substring and add floor ( l / 2) to the ans.
- After that start from the character just next to the end of the above substring.
Time Complexity: O (N)
Auxiliary Space: O (1)
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Minimum replacements to make adjacent characters unequal in a ternary string
- Minimum replacements to make adjacent characters unequal in a ternary string | Set-2
- Minimum number of replacements to make the binary string alternating | Set 2
- Minimum characters to be added at front to make string palindrome
- Minimum replacements such that the difference between the index of the same characters is divisible by 3
- Minimum number of characters to be removed to make a binary string alternate
- Permutation of a string with maximum number of characters greater than its adjacent characters
- Rearrange the characters of the string such that no two adjacent characters are consecutive English alphabets
- Convert string X to an anagram of string Y with minimum replacements
- Minimum characters to be replaced to make frequency of all characters same
- String with k distinct characters and no same characters adjacent
- Form lexicographically smallest string with minimum replacements having equal number of 0s, 1s and 2s
- Min flips of continuous characters to make all characters same in a string
- Minimum string such that every adjacent character of given string is still adjacent
- Rearrange characters in a string such that no two adjacent are same
- Rearrange characters in a string such that no two adjacent are same using hashing
- C program to swap adjacent characters of a String
- Check if a given string can be formed using characters of adjacent cells of a Matrix
- Minimum operations to make frequency of all characters equal K
- Minimum characters required to make a password strong
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.