We are given n blocks of size 1 x 1, we need to find the minimum perimeter of the grid made by these blocks.
Input : n = 4 Output : 8 Minimum possible perimeter with 4 blocks is 8. See below explanation. Input : n = 11 Output : 14 The square grid of above examples would be as
Let us take an example to see a pattern. Let us say that we have 4 blocks, following are different possibilities
+--+--+--+--+ | | | | | Perimeter = 10 +--+--+--+--+ +--+--+--+ | | | | Perimeter = 10 +--+--+--+ | | +--+ +--+--+--+ | | | | Perimeter = 10 +--+--+--+ | | +--+ +--+--+ | | | Perimeter = 8 +--+--+ | | | +--+--+
If we do some examples using pen and paper, we can notice that the perimeter becomes minimum when the shape formed is closest to a square. The reason for this is, we want maximum sides of blocks to face inside the shape so that perimeter of the shape becomes minimum.
If the Number of blocks is a perfect square then the perimeter would simply be 4*sqrt(n).
But, if the Number of blocks is not a perfect square root then we calculate number of rows and columns closest to square root. After arranging the blocks in a rectangular we still have blocks left then we will simply add 2 to the perimeter because only 2 extra side would be left.
The implementation of the above idea is given below.
This article is contributed by Sarthak Kohli. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Minimum number of blocks required to form Hollow Rectangular Prism
- Perimeter of an Ellipse
- Largest square which can be formed using given rectangular blocks
- Find Perimeter of a triangle
- Find the perimeter of a cylinder
- Perimeter of Convex hull for a given set of points
- Perimeter and Area of Varignon's Parallelogram
- Program to Calculate the Perimeter of a Decagon
- Maximum area of rectangle possible with given perimeter
- Program for Area And Perimeter Of Rectangle
- Program to find the Perimeter of a Regular Polygon
- Area of a Square | Using Side, Diagonal and Perimeter
- Program to calculate area and perimeter of Trapezium
- Program to find the Area and Perimeter of a Semicircle
- Program to find Perimeter / Circumference of Square and Rectangle
- Program to calculate area and perimeter of equilateral triangle
- Find maximum volume of a cuboid from the given perimeter and area
- Program to calculate area and perimeter of a rhombus whose diagonals are given
- Find perimeter of shapes formed with 1s in binary matrix
- Program to calculate the Area and Perimeter of Incircle of an Equilateral Triangle