Given a binary matrix of N rows and M columns. The operation allowed on the matrix is to choose any index (x, y) and toggle all the elements between the rectangle having top-left as (0, 0) and bottom-right as (x-1, y-1). Toggling the element means changing 1 to 0 and 0 to 1. The task is to find minimum operations required to make set all the elements of the matrix i.e make all elements as 1.
Input : mat = 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Output : 1 In one move, choose (3, 3) to make the whole matrix consisting of only 1s. Input : mat = 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Output : 3
The idea is to start from the end point (N – 1, M – 1) and traverse the matrix in reverse order. Whenever we encounter a cell which has a value of 0, flip it.
Why traversing from end point ?
Suppose there are 0 at (x, y) and (x + 1, y + 1) cell. You shouldn’t flip a cell (x + 1, y + 1) after cell (x, y) because after you flipped (x, y) to 1, in next move to flip (x + 1, y + 1) cell, you will flip again (x, y) to 0. So there is no benefit from the first move for flipping (x, y) cell.
Below is implementation of this approach:
Time Complexity: O(N2 * M2).
Space Complexity: O(N*M).
This article is contributed by Anuj Chauhan. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Maximum size square sub-matrix with all 1s
- Print a given matrix in spiral form
- Search in a row wise and column wise sorted matrix
- A Boolean Matrix Question
- Matrix Chain Multiplication | DP-8
- Print unique rows in a given boolean matrix
- Inplace (Fixed space) M x N size matrix transpose | Updated
- Maximum sum rectangle in a 2D matrix | DP-27
- Zigzag (or diagonal) traversal of Matrix
- Divide and Conquer | Set 5 (Strassen's Matrix Multiplication)
- Print all possible paths from top left to bottom right of a mXn matrix
- Count all possible paths from top left to bottom right of a mXn matrix
- Printing brackets in Matrix Chain Multiplication Problem
- Create a matrix with alternating rectangles of O and X
- Given an n x n square matrix, find sum of all sub-squares of size k x k