We are given n points in a Cartesian plane. Our task is to find the minimum number of points that should be removed in order to get the remaining points on one side of any axis.
Input : 4 1 1 2 2 -1 -1 -2 2 Output : 1 Explanation : If we remove (-1, -1) then all the remaining points are above x-axis. Thus the answer is 1. Input : 3 1 10 2 3 4 11 Output : 0 Explanation : All points are already above X-axis. Hence the answer is 0.
This problem is a simple example of constructive brute force algorithm on Geometry. The solution can be approached simply by finding the number of points on all sides of the X-axis and Y-axis. The minimum of this will be the answer.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to check if the points are parallel to X axis or Y axis
- Length of smallest subarray to be removed such that the remaining array is sorted
- Length of smallest subarray to be removed to make sum of remaining elements divisible by K
- Find the point on X-axis from given N points having least Sum of Distances from all other points
- Length of remaining two sides of a Triangle from a given side and its adjacent angles
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Minimum distance to visit given K points on X-axis after starting from the origin
- Number of lines from given N points not parallel to X or Y axis
- Number of triangles formed by joining vertices of n-sided polygon with one side common
- Check whether two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on same side of a given line or not
- Count of Squares that are parallel to the coordinate axis from the given set of N points
- Count of Right-Angled Triangle formed from given N points whose base or perpendicular are parallel to X or Y axis
- Count rectangles generated in a given rectangle by lines drawn parallel to X and Y axis from a given set of points
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
- Area of the largest rectangle formed by lines parallel to X and Y axis from given set of points
- Minimum number of edges required to be removed from an Undirected Graph to make it acyclic
- Program to calculate area of a rhombus whose one side and diagonal are given
- Number of Integral Points between Two Points
- Minimum letters to be removed to make all occurrences of a given letter continuous
- Minimum characters required to be removed to sort binary string in ascending order
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.