We are given n points in a Cartesian plane. Our task is to find the minimum number of points that should be removed in order to get the remaining points on one side of any axis.
Input : 4 1 1 2 2 -1 -1 -2 2 Output : 1 Explanation : If we remove (-1, -1) then all the remaining points are above x-axis. Thus the answer is 1. Input : 3 1 10 2 3 4 11 Output : 0 Explanation : All points are already above X-axis. Hence the answer is 0.
This problem is a simple example of constructive brute force algorithm on Geometry. The solution can be approached simply by finding the number of points on all sides of the X-axis and Y-axis. The minimum of this will be the answer.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to check if the points are parallel to X axis or Y axis
- Find the point on X-axis from given N points having least Sum of Distances from all other points
- Length of remaining two sides of a Triangle from a given side and its adjacent angles
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Number of lines from given N points not parallel to X or Y axis
- Number of triangles formed by joining vertices of n-sided polygon with one side common
- Minimum number of edges required to be removed from an Undirected Graph to make it acyclic
- Check whether two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) lie on same side of a given line or not
- Count of Squares that are parallel to the coordinate axis from the given set of N points
- Find the equation of plane which passes through two points and parallel to a given axis
- Count of Right-Angled Triangle formed from given N points whose base or perpendicular are parallel to X or Y axis
- Program to calculate area of a rhombus whose one side and diagonal are given
- Minimum letters to be removed to make all occurrences of a given letter continuous
- Minimum size substring to be removed to make a given string palindromic
- Minimum characters required to be removed to sort binary string in ascending order
- Number of Integral Points between Two Points
- Mimimum number of leaves required to be removed from a Tree to satisfy the given condition
- Minimum side of square embedded in Regular polygon with N sides
- Count of obtuse angles in a circle with 'k' equidistant points between 2 given points
- Ways to choose three points with distance between the most distant points <= L
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.