Given a string str. The task is to count the minimum number of elements to be removed so that pairwise consecutive elements are same
Input : str = “11344”
Remove the digit 3 from 3rd place so that the string becomes 1144. Thus pairwise two consecutive elements are same. Hence answer is 1.
Input : str = “55553”
Output : 1
Remove the digit 3 from the 5th place so that the string becomes 5555. Thus pairwise two consecutive elements are same. Hence answer is 1.
Approach: Check if the current two consecutive elements are same or not. If yes then increment the index by 2 and keep checking till all the elements get traversed. Else increment the index by 1 and count by 1.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
# Python 3 implementation of the above approach
# Function to count the minimum number of
# elements to remove from a number so that
# pairwise two consecutive digits are same.
# initialize counting variable
count = -1
for i in range(len(s)-1):
# check if two consecutive
# digits are same
if(i <= len(s)): if (s[i] is s[i + 1]): i += 1 else: count += 1 return count # Driver code if __name__ == '__main__': str = "44522255" print(countConsecutive(str)) # This code is contributed by PrinciRaj1992 [tabby title="C#"]
- Minimum number of elements to be removed to make XOR maximum
- Product of all pairwise consecutive elements in an Array
- Modulus of all pairwise consecutive elements in an Array
- Absolute Difference of all pairwise consecutive elements in an array
- Minimum number of digits to be removed so that no two consecutive digits are same
- Check if the elements of stack are pairwise sorted
- Minimum elements to be added in a range so that count of elements is divisible by K
- Minimum sum of the elements of an array after subtracting smaller elements from larger
- Minimum number of moves to make all elements equal
- Minimum number of increment/decrement operations such that array contains all elements from 1 to N
- Minimum number of palindromic subsequences to be removed to empty a binary string
- Minimum number of characters to be removed to make a binary string alternate
- Minimum number of elements to be replaced to make the given array a Fibonacci Sequence
- Count Subarrays with Consecutive elements differing by 1
- Check if elements of an array can be arranged in a Circle with consecutive difference as 1
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.