Given an expression which contains numbers and two operators ‘+’ and ‘*’, we need to find maximum and minimum value which can be obtained by evaluating this expression by different parenthesization.
Input : expr = “1+2*3+4*5” Output : Minimum Value = 27, Maximum Value = 105 Explanation: Minimum evaluated value = 1 + (2*3) + (4*5) = 27 Maximum evaluated value = (1 + 2)*(3 + 4)*5 = 105
We can solve this problem by dynamic programming method, we can see that this problem is similar to matrix chain multiplication, here we are trying different parenthesization to maximize and minimize expression value instead of number of matrix multiplication.
In below code first we have separated the operators and numbers from given expression then two 2D arrays are taken for storing the intermediate result which are updated similar to matrix chain multiplication and different parenthesization are tried among the numbers but according to operators occurring in between them. At the end last cell of first row will store the final result in both the 2D arrays.
Minimum value : 27, Maximum value : 105
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Maximum and Minimum Values of an Algebraic Expression
- Minimum number of coins that can generate all the values in the given range
- Minimum cells required to reach destination with jumps equal to cell values
- Minimum cost to reach end of array array when a maximum jump of K index is allowed
- Minimum number greater than the maximum of array which cannot be formed using the numbers in the array
- Evaluate a boolean expression represented as string
- std::regex_match, std::regex_replace() | Regex (Regular Expression) In C++
- Count of arrays having consecutive element with different values
- Average of ASCII values of characters of a given string
- Rearrange Odd and Even values in Alternate Fashion in Ascending Order
- Flip minimum signs of array elements to get minimum sum of positive elements possible
- Minimum Sum Path in a Triangle
- Minimum sum of multiplications of n numbers
- Minimum sum submatrix in a given 2D array
- Minimum Sum Path In 3-D Array