Given N points on the plane, ( X1, Y1 ), ( X2, Y2 ), ( X3, Y3 ), ……, ( XN, YN ). The task is to calculate the minimum length of the shorter side of the triangle. and the path or points to place an isosceles triangle with any two sides of the triangle on the coordinate axis ( X axis and Y axis ) to cover all points.
Note: A point is covered if it lies inside the triangle or on the side of the triangle.
Input: (1, 3), (1, 1), (2, 1), (2, 2)
Output: Length -> 4 , Path -> ( 1, 4 ) and ( 4, 1 )
Input: (1, 2), (1, 1), (2, 1)
Output: Length -> 3 , Path -> ( 1, 3 ) and ( 3, 1 )
In the first example, the minimum length of the shortest path is equal to the maximum sum of the points, which is 1+3 or 2+2. So the path which will cover all the points is (1, 4) and (4, 1) on the coordinate axis.
Below is the step by step algorithm to solve this problem:
- Initialize ‘N’ points on a plane.
- Traverse through each point and find the sum of each point and store it in a variable ‘answer’.
- Replace the next maximum sum of the points with the previous sum.
- Then you will get the path on a coordinate axis ( 1, answer ) and ( answer, 1 ) which will cover all the points of isosceles triangle.
Below is the implementation of above algorithm:
Length -> 5 Path -> ( 1, 5 )and ( 5, 1 )
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Shortest path from source to destination such that edge weights along path are alternatively increasing and decreasing
- Minimum Sum Path in a Triangle
- Find the length of the median of a Triangle if length of sides are given
- Create a Graph by connecting divisors from N to M and find shortest path
- Shortest path in a Binary Maze
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle within a Square which is inscribed within a Right angle Triangle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscribed within a Square inscribed in an equilateral triangle
- Program to print a Hollow Triangle inside a Triangle
- Minimum and maximum possible length of the third side of a triangle
- Maximum path sum in a triangle.
- Maximum sum of a path in a Right Number Triangle
- Maximum path sum in an Inverted triangle | SET 2
- Length of remaining two sides of a Triangle from a given side and its adjacent angles
- Area of Triangle using Side-Angle-Side (length of two sides and the included angle)
- Convert the undirected graph into directed graph such that there is no path of length greater than 1
- Minimum height of a triangle with given base and area
- Shortest distance between a Line and a Point in a 3-D plane
- Shortest distance to every other character from given character
- Find the shortest distance between any pair of two different good nodes
- Shortest distance from the centre of a circle to a chord
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.