Given a string containing lowercase English alphabets. The task is to find the minimum number of characters needed to be removed so that the remaining string contains at most 2 unique characters.
Note: The final string can have duplicate characters. The task is only to reduce the string with minimum deletions such that there can be a maximum of 2 unique characters in the resultant string.
Input: S = “geeksforgeeks”
After removing 7 characters the final string will be “geegee”
Input: S = “helloworld”
Approach: First count the occurrences of each character within the given string then just select two characters with maximum occurrence i.e. the two most frequently occurring characters in the string. And the result will be:
String length – (Occurrence of 1st most frequent character + Occurrence of 2nd most frequent character)
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Time Complexity: O(N), where N is the length of the given String.
- Minimum number of deletions to make a string palindrome | Set 2
- Minimum number of deletions to make a string palindrome
- Reduce the string by removing K consecutive identical characters
- Determine if a string has all Unique Characters
- Minimize number of unique characters in string
- String with maximum number of unique characters
- Python program to check if a string contains all unique characters
- Find the longest substring with k unique characters in a given string
- Reduce the string to minimum length with the given operation
- Efficiently check if a string has all unique characters without using any additional data structure
- Minimum reduce operations to convert a given string into a palindrome
- Minimum length String with Sum of the alphabetical values of the characters equal to N
- Minimum sum of squares of character counts in a given string after removing k characters
- Minimum characters to be added at front to make string palindrome
- Deletions of "01" or "10" in binary string to make it free from "01" or "10"
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.