Given three points of a regular polygon(n > 3), find the minimum area of a regular polygon (all sides same) possible with the points given.
Input : 0.00 0.00 1.00 1.00 0.00 1.00 Output : 1.00 By taking point (1.00, 0.00) square is formed of side 1.0 so area = 1.00 .
One thing to note in question before we proceed is that the number of sides must be at least 4 (note n > 3 condition)..
Here, we have to find the minimum area possible for a regular polygon, so to calculate the minimum possible area, we need to calculate the required value of n. As the side length is not given, so we first calculate the circumradius of the triangle formed by the points. It is given by the formula
R = abc / 4A
Where a, b, c are the sides of the triangle formed and A is the area of the triangle. Here, the area of the triangle can be calculated by Heron’s Formula.
After calculating circumradius of the triangle, we calculate the area of the polygon by the formula
A = nX ( sin(360/n) xr2 /2 )
Here r represents the circumradius of n-gon (regular polygon of n sides).
But, first we have to calculate value of n . To calculate n we first have to calculate all the angles of triangle by the cosine formula
cosA = ( b2+c2-a2 ) / 2bc
cosB = ( a2+c2-b2 ) / 2ac
cosC = ( a2+b2-c2 ) / 2ab
Then, n is given by
n = pi / GCD (A , B, C )
Where A, B and C are the angles of the triangle . After calculating n we substitute this value to the formula for calculating area of polygon .
Below is the implementation of the given approach :
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Ways to choose three points with distance between the most distant points <= L
- Check if the given point lies inside given N points of a Convex Polygon
- Minimum number of points to be removed to get remaining points on one side of axis
- Area of a polygon with given n ordered vertices
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given side length
- Area of a n-sided regular polygon with given Radius
- Count of obtuse angles in a circle with 'k' equidistant points between 2 given points
- Find the point on X-axis from given N points having least Sum of Distances from all other points
- Equation of circle when three points on the circle are given
- Check whether triangle is valid or not if three points are given
- Program to find Area of Triangle inscribed in N-sided Regular Polygon
- Area of largest Circle inscribe in N-sided Regular polygon
- Number of Integral Points between Two Points
- Program to check if three points are collinear
- Find if a point lies inside, outside or on the circumcircle of three points A, B, C
- Find area of the larger circle when radius of the smaller circle and difference in the area is given
- Calculate Volume, Curved Surface Area and Total Surface Area Of Cylinder
- Minimum Cost Polygon Triangulation
- Minimum side of square embedded in Regular polygon with N sides
- Minimum Sum of Euclidean Distances to all given Points
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.