Given a number n, divide first n natural numbers (1, 2, …n) into two subsets such that difference between sums of two subsets is minimum.
Input : n = 4 Output : First subset sum = 5, Second subset sum = 5. Difference = 0 Explanation: Subset 1: 1 4 Subset 2: 2 3 Input : n = 6 Output: First subset sum = 10, Second subset sum = 11. Difference = 1 Explanation : Subset 1: 1 3 6 Subset 2: 2 4 5
The approach is based on the fact that any four consecutive numbers can be divided into two groups by putting middle two elements in one group and corner elements in other group. So, if n is a multiple of 4 then their difference will be 0, hence the summation of one set will be half of the summation of N elements which can be calculated by using sum = n*(n+1)/2
There are three other cases to consider in which we cannot divide into groups of 4, which will leave a remainder of 1, 2 and 3:
a) If it leaves a remainder of 1, then all other n-1 elements are clubbed into group of 4 hence their sum will be int(sum/2) and the other half sum will be int(sum/2+1) and their difference will always be 1.
b) Above mentioned steps will be followed in case of n%4 == 2 also. Here we form groups of size 4 for elements from 3 onward. Remaining elements would be 1 and 2. 1 goes in one group and 2 goes in other group.
c) When n%4 == 3, then club n-3 elements into groups of 4. The left out elements will be 1, 2 and 3, in which 1 and 2 will go to one set and 3 to the other set which eventually makes the difference to be 0 and summation of each set to be sum/2.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
First subset sum = 10 Second subset sum = 11 Difference = 1
- Minimize sum of adjacent difference with removal of one element from array
- Minimize the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the modified array
- Absolute difference between the first X and last X Digits of N
- Minimum difference between max and min of all K-size subsets
- k size subsets with maximum difference d between max and min
- Maximize the difference between two subsets of a set with negatives
- Minimum absolute difference between N and a power of 2
- Maximum absolute difference in an array
- Absolute Difference of all pairwise consecutive elements in an array
- Largest subset where absolute difference of any two element is a power of 2
- Minimum absolute difference of a number and its closest prime
- Print all n-digit numbers with absolute difference between sum of even and odd digits is 1
- Pair of prime numbers with a given sum and minimum absolute difference
- Absolute difference between sum and product of roots of a quartic equation
- Predict the winner of the game on the basis of absolute difference of sum by selecting numbers
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.
Improved By : vt_m