Given a string S, we need to write a program to check if it is possible to construct the given string S by performing any of the below operations any number of times. In each step, we can:
- Add any character at the end of the string.
- or, append the string to the string itself.
The above steps can be applied any number of times. We need to write a program to print the minimum steps required to form the string.
Input : aaaaaaaa Output : 4 Explanation: move 1: add 'a' to form "a" move 2: add 'a' to form "aa" move 3: append "aa" to form "aaaa" move 4: append "aaaa" to form "aaaaaaaa" Input: aaaaaa Output: 4 Explanation: move 1: add 'a' to form "a" move 2: add 'a' to form "aa" move 3: add 'a' to form "aaa" move 4: append "aaa" to form "aaaaaa" Input: abcabca Output: 5
The idea to solve this problem is to use Dynamic Programming to count the minimum number of moves. Create an array named dp of size n, where n is the length of the input string. dp[i] stores the minimum number of moves that are required to make substring (0…i). According to the question there are two moves that are possible:
- dp[i] = min(dp[i], dp[i-1] + 1) which signifies addition of characters.
- dp[i*2+1] = min(dp[i]+1, dp[i*2+1]), appending of string is done if s[0…i]==s[i+1..i*2+1]
- Lexicographically smallest string formed by appending a character from first K characters of a string | Set 2
- Lexicographically smallest string formed by appending a character from the first K characters of a given string
- Find the character made by adding all the characters of the given string
- Check if characters of one string can be swapped to form other
- Check if characters of a given string can be rearranged to form a palindrome
- Check if the characters in a string form a Palindrome in O(1) extra space
- Replace minimal number of characters to make all characters pair wise distinct
- Minimum length of the sub-string whose characters can be used to form a palindrome of length K
- Find the count of palindromic sub-string of a string in its sorted form
- Transform string str1 into str2 by taking characters from string str3
- Create a new string by alternately combining the characters of two halves of the string in reverse
- Minimum deletions from string to reduce it to string with at most 2 unique characters
- Find the smallest window in a string containing all characters of another string
- Count of times second string can be formed from the characters of first string
- Find Kth largest string from the permutations of the string with two characters
The answer will be stored in dp[n-1] as we need to form the string(0..n-1) index-wise.
Below is the implementation of above idea:
Time Complexity : O(n2), where n is the length of input string.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.