Round 1 (45 mins)
1) There was a detailed discussion on the project i did at Microsoft and also over the two projects mentioned in my resume.
2) There is a Bing log file containing the domain names. Design a cache memory system for faster dns look ups.( i suggested a Trie and a min heap based solution).
I was asked to make it space efficient. (I replaced trie with map)
3)There is a turn based 2 player game in which there are 9 pins and each player is allowed to pick either 1, 2 or 3 pins only. The last player to pick the pin is the loser.
Design winning strategy for such a game.
4) Generalize the above solution for n pins.
Round 2 (45 mins)
1)There is a large file with system memory limitations. How will you store it (i suggested Distributed system) and how will u work on it.
2)Suppose the large file contains name, address, Dob, pan no etc as attributes. Design class interface for such a system.The question was re framed again with more conditions which i am unable to recall now.
2)There was a detailed discussion over how the stl map data structure is implemented.
3) Discussion over hashing and collision resolution techniques.
Round 3(40 mins)
Discussion over my project followed by these questions:
1) Write the code to delete nodes in a binary tree which don’t lie in any path from root to leaf with sum>=k.
2)There is a rotated and pivoted array. Write the code to determine how many times the array is rotated. (i did it in O(log n)).
All thanks to geeks4geeks for helping me prepare for technical interviews.
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article and mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
- Microsoft Interview experience for full time position of software engineer at Microsoft Ireland Research
- Microsoft Interview Experience (Full Time 2018 Washington DC - with 2.5 years of experience)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 151 (SDE-2 3.5 years experience)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 169 (SDE 2 for 3.5 years experience)
- Microsoft IDC Interview Experience | Set 68 (For SDE)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 166
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 43
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 53
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 54 (For SDE)
- Microsoft Interview Experience (SDE II)
- Microsoft interview Experience | Set 50
- Microsoft IDC Interview Experience | Set 88 (For SDE-1)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 45
- Microsoft IDC Interview Experience | Set 88 (For SDE-2)
- Microsoft Interview experience | Set 106