Microsoft visited our campus. Prior to that, about a month ago they had conducted an online coding test. The interview consisted of 3 f2f rounds.
The test comprised of 3 coding questions. The questions were not same for everyone.
- Find the missing number in an AP series.
- Find max sum path(sum of values of nodes) in a binary tree. The nodes may have negative values too.
- Given a binary tree, find the number of subtrees that sum up to a particular value.
- General introduction. Project description.
- Serialize and deserialize a binary tree.
Full code was expected.
- General introduction.
- How would you make loading of webpages faster?
- Said something about cache, server-side loadbalancer etc. The interviewer went into details of caching, asked about several situations like, what if power failure occurs while writing to database, leading to a brief discussion on checkpoints, log files etc.
- Finally he asked me to design LRU cache. Was expecting only code snippets and proper data structure usage.
- General introduction.
- Connect all the nodes in the same level of a binary tree.
I proposed a basic level order traversal using queue.https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/connect-nodes-level-level-order-traversal/
But he came up with a bunch of constraints, so I gave this solution instead.
He didn’t look very pleased, but moved on.
- Given a circular array that has been rotated, find a particular element in it.
Gave the basic O(logn) approach for finding element in sorted rotated array by finding pivot first.
He asked me to do it in one go without separately finding pivot.
Wasn’t too hard to figure out.
He seemed happy. Asked me if I had any questions. Explained about his work at Microsoft.
About 1.5 hrs later they declared the results. They had selected 4 students for Microsoft Redmond and around 8-9 for MSIDC, myself included 🙂
- UHG Interview Experience | OnCampus- 2019
- ServiceNow Interview Experience Oncampus
- MathWorks Interview Experience (EDG, Oncampus)
- InfoEdge Interview Experience | OnCampus-2019
- Microsoft Interview experience for full time position of software engineer at Microsoft Ireland Research
- Microsoft Interview Experience (Full Time 2018 Washington DC - with 2.5 years of experience)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 151 (SDE-2 3.5 years experience)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 169 (SDE 2 for 3.5 years experience)
- Microsoft Interview Interview Experience for Full Time
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 54 (For SDE)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 56 (For SDE 2)
- Microsoft Interview Experience | SDE-II
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 43
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 166
- Microsoft Interview Experience
- Microsoft Interview Experience | Set 64 (For SDE-2)
- Microsoft interview experience (For SDE-1)
- Microsoft Interview experience | Set 106
- Microsoft Interview Experience for SDE-2
- Microsoft IDC Interview Experience | Set 68 (For SDE)