Microsoft Interview Experience for Software Engineer
On 3rd April 2021, I got a mail that I have been referred by some employee and so they are sending me a test link with a one-day window.
Round 1(1 hr 30 mins): The test was conducted on Mettl platform. There were a total of three questions. Two of them were based on Trie and one from the Segment tree
- Given an array and q queries with range L and R. Find the count numbers such that the absolute difference between the highest and lowest (in a range) is less than given k.
- Don’t remember.
On 6th April, I got the mail that I have cleared my online test and will be having my interview on 8th.
Round 2(45 mins): My interview started around 12:15 pm. It started with a brief introduction. And then just one coding problem. He asked to open any compiler and share my screen. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sum-leaf-nodes-minimum-level/ First I had to explain my approach and then write the complete code. He then gave a few test cases to check my code.
Within five minutes after completion of this round, I got the mail that I’ll be having my round 2 interview from 3:30.
Round 3(1 hr): The interviewer briefly gave his introduction and then started with the ques.
- What is the critical section ? Give any example.
- What do you mean by race condition ?
- How steps you take to solve critical section problem ?
- Concept of Virtual memory.
- Write and explain code for the Producer Consumer Problem.
- Explain approach and then write complete code for https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/represent-the-fraction-of-two-numbers-in-the-string-format/. With some help from the interviewer, I was able to solve this completely.
- Do you have any ques for me?
In the evening I got the mail that I have cleared this round too and they’ll be scheduling my next round on coming Monday.
Round 4 (AA Discussion): (45-50 mins)
- This round is the final and the deciding round. This person would only say a final yes or no for your selection. The interviewer was extremely humble. nice and soft spoken. He had all the details of my previous interview.
- It started with a normal introduction. I saw that he was noting down my projects’ name and previous experience. Then he started discussion about my project and extremely detailed discussion.
- Then we started talking about my current internship and the project I am doing currently. That was all from his side. And he asked me to ask ques now. Then we had a very detailed conversation. He was from the Microsoft Edge team and had been working for 10 years.
- We talked for around 30 mins and then my part was done.
- Then two days later, on the 14th I got a call from HR that they have scheduled a 15 mins HR discussion for me. I was all nervous as this round was never mentioned. The meeting started with a normal introduction and then he asked my college’s name. I told him and he said “Ok, then we’ll be sending them the mail that I have been offered FTE SWE Role”. Oh my God! On hearing this I was cloud nine. He then told me about the detailed salary compensation and it was done 🙂
Hey geek! It’s time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!