These are 4 types of memory access methods:
1. Sequential Access:-
In this method, the memory is accessed in a specific linear sequential manner, like accessing in a single Linked List. The access time depends on the location of the data.
Applications of this sequential memory access are magnetic tapes, magnetic disk and optical memories.
2. Random Access:-
In this method, any location of the memory can be accessed randomly like accessing in Array. Physical locations are independent in this access method.
Applications of this random memory access are RAM and ROM.
3. Direct Access:-
In this method, the particular location of the memory can be accessed directly like accessing in Array. This method is a combination of above two access methods. The access time depends on both the memory organization and characteristics of storage technology. The access is semi-random or direct.
Application of thus direct memory access is magnetic hard disk, read/write header.
4. Associate Access:-
In this memory, a word is accessed rather than its address. This access access method is a special type of random access method.
Application of thus direct memory access is Cache memory.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference between Uniform Memory Access (UMA) and Non-uniform Memory Access (NUMA)
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Content Addressable Memory (CAM)
- Random Access Memory (RAM) and Read Only Memory (ROM)
- Magnetic Random Access Memory (M-RAM)
- Different Types of RAM (Random Access Memory )
- Ferro-electric Random Access Memory
- File Access Methods in Operating System
- Direct memory access with DMA controller 8257/8237
- Difference between Simultaneous and Hierarchical Access Memory Organisations
- Difference between Random Access Memory (RAM) and Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Implementation of all Partition Allocation Methods in Memory Management
- Difference between Virtual memory and Cache memory
- Introduction to memory and memory units
- Difference between Byte Addressable Memory and Word Addressable Memory
- Controlled Access Protocols in Computer Network
- Carrier Sense Multiple Access (CSMA)
- Multiple Access Protocols in Computer Network
- PRAM or Parallel Random Access Machines
- How to declare and access pointer variable in Golang?
- Wireless Media Access Issues in Internet of Things
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.