The MD2 is a Message-Digest Algorithm. It is a cryptographic hash function developed by Ronald Rivest in 1989. It is optimized for 8-bit computers. The MD2 algorithm is used in public key infrastructures as part of certificates generated with MD2 and RSA. From 2014, this algorithm is now not considered as a secure algorithm.
To calculate cryptographic hashing value in Java, MessageDigest Class is used, under the package java.security.
MessagDigest Class provides following cryptographic hash function to find hash value of a text as follows:
These algorithms are initialized in static method called getInstance(). After selecting the algorithm the message digest value is calculated and the results are returned as a byte array. BigInteger class is used, to convert the resultant byte array into its signum representation. This representation is then converted into a hexadecimal format to get the expected MessageDigest.
Input : hello world
Output : d9cce882ee690a5c1ce70beff3a78c77
Input : GeeksForGeeks
Output : 787df774a3d25dca997b1f1c8bfee4af
Below program shows the implementation of MD2 hash in Java.
HashCode Generated by MD2 for: GeeksForGeeks : 787df774a3d25dca997b1f1c8bfee4af hello world : d9cce882ee690a5c1ce70beff3a78c77
- Data Integrity
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- MD5 hash in Java
- SHA-224 Hash In Java
- SHA-256 Hash in Java
- SHA-384 Hash In Java
- SHA-512 Hash In Java
- Implementing our Own Hash Table with Separate Chaining in Java
- SHA-1 Hash
- Data Structures | Hash | Question 1
- Data Structures | Hash | Question 2
- Data Structures | Hash | Question 3
- Data Structures | Hash | Question 4
- Data Structures | Hash | Question 5
- Hash Functions in System Security
- What is HMAC(Hash based Message Authentication Code)?
- Java.util.LinkedList.poll(), pollFirst(), pollLast() with examples in Java
- Java lang.Long.numberOfTrailingZeros() method in Java with Examples
- Java.util.LinkedList.peek() , peekfirst(), peeklast() in Java
- Java.util.concurrent.Phaser class in Java with Examples
- Java lang.Long.lowestOneBit() method in Java with Examples
- Java Deprecated API Scanner tool (jdepscan) in Java 9 with Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.