McKinsey Interview Experience for Software Associate Internship
Mckinsey has visited the college campus on April 2021 for an Internship (Jan-Jul 2022) for the role of Software associate.
Round 1: The first round consists of 2 coding questions and 2 SQL queries.
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
Questions asked were:
- Coding Ques 1. Merge Overlapping intervals https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/merging-intervals/
- Coding Ques 2. Some sort of Dynamic Programming question
- SQL query one was medium and another was easy.
- I solved 2 SQL Queries and 1 coding question completely. The DP question, I solved using brute force, hence passed 5/15 cases.
Got shortlisted for the next round along with 31 students.
Round 2: The Second Round is a Code pair round. One of the Mckinsey staff will accompany you throughout the round.
- I was given one DP string-based problem. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/longest-palindrome-substring-set-1/
- I solved it within 30 minutes.
- Got Called for the next round!! It was a direct call, so didn’t know how many students were shortlisted.
Round 3: The third round is a technical round.
- I mentioned about my internship. So the interviewer questioned in-depth about the internship project (OS-based). The Conversation lasted for 30 minutes.
- Asked about the projects. Picked one of the projects and asked to draw all the tables that have been used in the database for the project. Then an SQL Query from those tables.
- Asked my favorite Data Structures. I answered Arrays and Linked lists. I was asked to give an approach for reversal linked lists. I gave the approach using stack. Further was questioned on Time complexity (O(n)) and Space Complexity (O(n)). I was asked if there is any way that the space complexity can be reduced.
- Got called for the next round!
Round 4: The Fourth Round is Personal Experience and Case interview round.
- For Personal Experience, I was asked to tell about the situation where there is a disagreement with a colleague and how you resolved it.
- For the Case Interview, I was given a scenario, where a company wants to do a product launch. The product may be a high-end tablet with advanced features at a high price or an Ordinary Tablet with minimal features at a cheaper price. I was asked to analyze the factors about the product (not to judge which option is best).
I was given some numbers like profit% and the price of the product and asked to find,
- The cost of manufacturing the product.
- if 2,00,000 low-end tablet is sold out, how many high-end tablets should be sold to get the same profit?
I wasn’t selected for the next round which is the managerial round followed by HR. They selected 2/39 students finally.
But that’s alright, prepare well for all the opportunities you get. Try your best so that you won’t have any regrets. All the best!!