Given a range [L, R], we need to find two integers in this range such that their XOR is maximum among all possible choices of two integers. More Formally,
given [L, R], find max (A ^ B) where L <= A, B
Input : L = 8 R = 20 Output : 31 31 is XOR of 15 and 16. Input : L = 1 R = 3 Output : 3
A simple solution is to generate all pairs, find their XOR values and finally return the maximum XOR value.
An efficient solution is to consider pattern of binary values from L to R. We can see that first bit from L to R either changes from 0 to 1 or it stays 1 i.e. if we take the XOR of any two numbers for maximum value their first bit will be fixed which will be same as first bit of XOR of L and R itself.
After observing the technique to get first bit, we can see that if we XOR L and R, the most significant bit of this XOR will tell us the maximum value we can achieve i.e. let XOR of L and R is 1xxx where x can be 0 or 1 then maximum XOR value we can get is 1111 because from L to R we have all possible combination of xxx and it is always possible to choose these bits in such a way from two numbers such that their XOR becomes all 1. It is explained below with some examples,
Examples 1: L = 8 R = 20 L ^ R = (01000) ^ (10100) = (11100) Now as L ^ R is of form (1xxxx) we can get maximum XOR as (11111) by choosing A and B as 15 and 16 (01111 and 10000) Examples 2: L = 16 R = 20 L ^ R = (10000) ^ (10100) = (00100) Now as L ^ R is of form (1xx) we can get maximum xor as (111) by choosing A and B as 19 and 20 (10011 and 10100)
So the solution of this problem depends on the value of (L ^ R) only. We will calculate the L^R value first and then from most significant bit of this value, we will add all 1s to get the final result.
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Maximum Bitwise AND pair from given range
- Maximum AND value of a pair in an array
- Print pair with maximum AND value in an array
- Value in a given range with maximum XOR
- Number whose sum of XOR with given array range is maximum
- Smallest number whose set bits are maximum in a given range
- Minimum XOR Value Pair
- XOR of Sum of every possible pair of an array
- Quadruplet pair with XOR zero in the given Array
- Find Unique pair in an array with pairs of numbers
- Check if elements of Linked List are present in pair
- Find the number of pair of Ideal nodes in a given tree
- Find pair for given sum in a sorted singly linked without extra space
- Bitwise and (or &) of a range
- Bitwise OR (or | ) of a range