Given a rectangular grid of dimension 2 x n. We need to find out the maximum sum such that no two chosen numbers are adjacent, vertically, diagonally or horizontally.
Input : 1 4 5 2 0 0 Output : 7 If we start from 1 then we can add only 5 or 0. So max_sum = 6 in this case. If we select 2 then also we can add only 5 or 0. So max_sum = 7 in this case. If we select from 4 or 0 then there is no further elements can be added. So, Max sum is 7. Input : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Output : 24
This problem is an extension of Maximum sum such that no two elements are adjacent. Only thing to be changed is to take maximum element of both row of a particular column. We traverse column by column and maintain maximum sum considering two cases.
1) An element of current column is included. In this case we take maximum of two elements in current column.
2) An element of current column is excluded (or not included)
Below is the implementation of above steps.
Time Complexity: O(n)
Space Complexity: O(2n) which is equal to O(n)
This article is contributed by Sahil Chhabra. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Minimum product in a grid of adjacent elements
- Maximum sum such that no two elements are adjacent | Set 2
- Maximum sum such that no two elements are adjacent
- Maximum sum such that exactly half of the elements are selected and no two adjacent
- Maximum sum in circular array such that no two elements are adjacent
- Maximum sum in circular array such that no two elements are adjacent | Set 2
- Maximum product of 4 adjacent elements in matrix
- Maximum sub-sequence sum such that indices of any two adjacent elements differs at least by 3
- Maximum length subsequence with difference between adjacent elements as either 0 or 1
- Find maximum sum from top to bottom row with no adjacent diagonal elements
- Maximum subsequence sum with adjacent elements having atleast K difference in index
- Minimal product subsequence where adjacent elements are separated by a maximum distance of K
- Sum of the count of number of adjacent squares in an M X N grid
- Maximum length subsequence such that adjacent elements in the subsequence have a common factor
- Check if a grid can become row-wise and column-wise sorted after adjacent swaps